Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, it has been a while since I have been on here. My 4x4 background is mainly with Yotas, and haven't had one for a couple of years now. I decided to pick up an old 1962 International Scout 80 that's in pretty good shape. It has the original I4, I believe it is a 3 speed T13 trans, and a Dana 18 t-case in it still. Engine was rebuilt, re-installed and it has just been sitting since. I am trying to decide what I would like to put into it, and am leaning pretty hard towards a GM V6, maybe 3.4 or a 4.3 if I can find one cheap, and looking to stay carbureted. What I really need help with is what manual transmissions/t-cases, good for offroading of course, will bolt up to the engines without using any adapters. I haven't found a good website yet that shows multiple options. I have found lots of info on NP231, SM420, etc, but I want to know what you guys think. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I know you mentioned stick but,

TBI 4.3/700R4/231/300

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
My 4x4 background is mainly with Yotas, and haven't had one for a couple of years now.
Not to beat on the yota drivers, but I was guessing this. Shove it in a hole and stand on it :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'm going to dig some info on those combos tonight. I would consider going with an efi engine before going with an auto. I only plan on running mild trails with this for now. I will build a real crawler down the road, which will probably have an auto trans.

Why carburated and why manual?
As for manual trans and carb, I may not be using factory scout drivetrain, but would like to keep the nostalgia of the period. While on that though, we're any scout factory v8 engine, trans, t case combos worth looking into?

Oh and nothing wrong with a Yota if it gets you where you want to go ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok cool. I am liking the availability I am seeing for the SM465 trans, and the different t-cases you can put behind it. I have seen some good deals already on SM465 and NP205 combos with the adapter. I believe that some SM465's were found behind small block Chevy engines, correct? If so that bell housing will bolt up to any 90 degree Chevy V6 or V8? If that is the case then I could get the 4.3 Vortec, SM465 4 speed and NP205 t-case and have a nice combo for the Scout...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts