Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 1256 Posts

·
Snooty Poser
1,141 Posts
Great stuff. Makes me wish I still had the '61 with the Chevy 250 I swapped in 25 years ago. Wonder where it is now?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Great work thus far, you certainly don't have a shortage of good vehicles!

That steering wheel and emblem look dam near factory! :smokin:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Great stuff. Makes me wish I still had the '61 with the Chevy 250 I swapped in 25 years ago. Wonder where it is now?
I feel the same way. I had a sweet 55 wagon that I wish I still had. That was my first 4x4 in fact. Learned a lot from working on that POS. Loved every minute of it. It had a great running 283 with an SM420/SP18 and I bought a brand new Saturn overdrive for it. It even had the original sweet front bumper with the upper guard and Willys stamped into it. What I would give for one of those now.

I saw a show the other day where a billionaire was able to track down a car he owned 30 years ago. He paid $1M to get it back. Unreal. :shaking:

It's pretty amazing how many old Willys pickups and wagons I still see sitting behind barns and out in fields around here. Most are trashed, but there are still some straight ones too. This wagon had serious rust in the floor boards, but otherwise, the body is extremely straight. The hood and front fenders are always hammered it seems, but these are factory straight with no cracks. I think the odometer reading is really true at 45k. This wagon definitely doesn't have all the signs of being driven for 50 years. It just sat in a wet climate near the coast and rotted away under the original rubber floor mats. I could have spent more time finding a rust free tub, but I like the challenge of restoring one that deserves a second chance at life. Plus, it was untouched. Every single factory part is here. That is rare for sure.

Any of you guys with Willys wagons, post up some pics. I would love to see them for inspiration.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I have been looking at thousands of photos of wagons and pickups trying to settle on a good color combination. I think I have found one I really like. At least today...

This one looks very similar to what mine will look like as far as stance and lift. Can't wait to get this far.
If ya want an opinion. Not bad but.......

How about keeping the lower cream color and doing a burgandy/wine color up top ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Though its kind of hard to tell, my '54 wagon was originally a dark blue-gray color, but the underside of the body is bright turqoise. My guess is that the paint color was changed when the body was in the paint booth. Maybe they ran out of turqoise paint?

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Any of you guys with Willys wagons said:
Pushed it outside for the first time, I wish mine was moving along as fast as yours.
I had that same picture saved of that blue wagon, I thought it look great but now that Im going with a satin look Im thinking about painting it a dark green with ivory inserts and roof but have not found any pics of that color combo.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Very nice! Your rig would be perfect for a big block of some sort. Or maybe an LS1. Something with some serious cohones.

You are doing some awesome and very challenging work with moving the rear fenderwell back. Not to mention the bottom of the doors and rockers. Huge commitment for sure. I considered it, but I don't know if I am ready for all that body work. I already have my fair share.

The one thing I really hate about Willys pickups and wagons is the way they did the rocker panels. LAME!! The outer rocker and the inner rocker support structure are so weak. I bought all new parts, but have not committed to putting them in yet. I am considering going with some heavier wall tubing to give it some real rocker support and better design. Oh yea, let's create a drain at the bottom of the door and let's just not weld up the rocker all the way and let the water, dirt, and grime drain down into the hollow support structure and kick this rust program off right!! Yea, let's do that and it will look totally stupid and everything. Yea! Yea!!

Thanks for posting. It is definitely inspiring to see another Willys project in the trenches. If I find any pictures of the paint scheme you are talking about, I will post them up for ya!

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
If you are looking for paint suggestions take a look at this database. They have some of the original paint selection, including different regions.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/acl_files/Willys.html

When I was looking to paint my pickup, before I sold it, I was leaning towards the Riviera Gray and Bermuda Blue combo.

:D

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you are looking for paint suggestions take a look at this database. They have some of the original paint selection, including different regions.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/acl_files/Willys.html

When I was looking to paint my pickup, before I sold it, I was leaning towards the Riviera Gray and Bermuda Blue combo.

:D
Great link and I love this build, it is giving me some inspiration to get out and do some work on my 49 Willys truck. :bounce2:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Well, not much to report lately. I have been struggling with pain for weeks. But I have been getting some mockup work done on a lot of things. Here are a few shots of the way the seats will look. It's too bad, but I will have to modify the brackets on these to make them fit low enough. It won't be hard to do; just one more thing to add to the list. I think they look pretty nice. They are super comfortable with power lumbar supports on the passenger side and power everything on the driver's side.

And here is the new quarter panel mocked up. I tell you the quality of craftmanship is SO shitty on these. If I hadn't already cut off the originals I would send these back. I called them and asked what the deal is and they said the dies are worn out and there is only one guy in the entire US that's making them. Sorry, but it's just one of those things. I said, well you should tell people that before they buy them. I truly expected to get totally straight "new" quarter panels, but these are definitely not that. They look good in the photos, but the inset panel depths are very inconsistent and they ribs are ridiculous. They don't end sharply like they are supposed to. In fact, the dies are so worn out that they tweak the metal around the ribs terribly. Oh well, I don't have a choice now. I will just work them over as much as possible before I put them on and use some filler to make them perfect.

Check out some closeups. I don't have an expensive camera, so I hope you can see the detail on these.

Cracks in the fuel filler:

Distorted ribs:

Stretchmarks:
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

1/2 rocker rib. This part of the quarter panel is bent 1/2" too short.

Although it seems like I haven't gotten much done lately, I have made great progress in my design and measurements in preparation for sheet metal for the dash, firewall, floor, and rocker panels. I have also been studying the comprehensive wiring harness for the Tahoe to get familiar with every part. There are some things I simply won't need and if I can remove some wiring from the harness, I will. A bit scary though since it seems everything is connected in some way.

The other thing I have been considering lately is getting the entire tub dipped and e-coated. There is just no way sandblasting is going to get all the rust from in between the seams. Anybody had any experience with e-coating? It really seems like the way to go. Somewhat pricey, but definitely thorough. I don't want rust poking its little turtle head out through a brand new paint job in 2 years. I am doing this right.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yikes! It looks like both panels have problems. I need the same Q-panels. My wagon is a renovation project so it won't be perfect, but it would still be nice to able to get good parts. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Yea, thanks for the link. I have looked at so many colors lately I can't see straight. It would be pretty cool to go with a factory 2 tone paint scheme.

There are some nice blues.
When my dad was stripping down his wagon he found a creme white color. We were able to match it up with the color chips from the website. I found some blue and red on parts I used on my pickup that I matched up to the color chips. They are pretty accurate.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
That sucks that those panels are so out of shape. I am glad that you posted it though because I was tempted to cut mine out and order some panels. Now I will just fix the ones I have. Keep up the good work.

41 - 60 of 1256 Posts