Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 1256 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
No problem. It was good to talk with you.

Ah the memories of it being completely stock. Whhhewww, I am so glad that's over with. Good luck on the build and I hope you are a patient man with little need for sleep or food like me.

With all these Willys projects going on around the country, we should all get together once their done and throw back a few. Maybe we could create our own Ultimate Adventure by driving across the country in groups helping the next guy get his Willys done then on to the next guy. Have tools will travel.

Keep us up to date on your build.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
No problem. It was good to talk with you.

Ah the memories of it being completely stock. Whhhewww, I am so glad that's over with. Good luck on the build and I hope you are a patient man with little need for sleep or food like me.

With all these Willys projects going on around the country, we should all get together once their done and throw back a few. Maybe we could create our own Ultimate Adventure by driving across the country in groups helping the next guy get his Willys done then on to the next guy. Have tools will travel.Keep us up to date on your build.
That would be a class act !! :smokin:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
i plan on bringin mine out to the west coast next summer for a big long round the country wheelin trip as my truck will be mostly bullet proofed by then and i beleive it can take and my other truck will have a rebuilt motor to run in the whole way

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #109 (Edited)
Well, I wasn't going to do it, but I was in an adventurous mood tonight. I walked out into the garage and removed the stock Willys window regulator pin and gear from the rest of the mechanism. Then I installed the Chevy Tahoe power window motor in its place by making some simple bracketry to mount it to. The gears of the Willys regulator mechanism matched the Tahoe motor gear perfectly, which was pretty amazing.

It took only about 15 minutes to mount it. Then I reinstalled it into the driver's door along with the glass. Hooked up the wires to a battery and it worked!! It worked smoothly even without the new window felt or even having it completely aligned.

What an amazingly simple thing. You wouldn't believe it.

Now, I will just drill 2 small holes in the door and jam for running the wires from the door to the stock harness. However, I am may just mount the buttons in between the seats. That way I only need two switches and both driver and passenger can control either window. Not sure about this as I haven't thought it through yet, but that's the easy stuff.

I shot a little video of it with my smart phone. I will try to post it tomorrow. Then I will take photos of the process when I do the passenger side so you can see how I did it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
your work is absolutely amazing, your attention to detail is incredible as well. Awesome I LOVE this and love the fact you're building it to actually be driven. Great work man, keep it up. I look forward to seeing more! VERY clean!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
Thanks 98. I don't know if I would categorize my work as amazing, but I do the best I can with fairly ordinary hand tools and many years of building and fabricating experience. In my younger days, I used to be pretty impatient and wanted everything done yesterday. I enjoy the process now just as much as the end result. I do wish I had some higher end tools though. I am dreaming of a Tube Shark and a computerized water jet table. Hey, it's ok to dream isn't it?

I have really taken advantage of the power of cardboard templates in this build. It makes fabrication a dream. I see so many guys just start hacking metal and often get close, but the end product isn't clean. I am going to use templates for my bumpers. I am working on some pretty cool designs. I'll post some pics one of these days.

·
Registered
57 Posts
axle width

Nice build. I'm still just planning what to do with mine. I like the stance you achieved and appreciate all the info you've got here. I just wanted to ask how wide your axles ended up being? From this and your other thread, it looks like around 61.5", but can you confirm?

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the info. Here's my latest money pit:

It's not much, but it's all there, lived its whole life in Arizona... and free.

The only new vehicle my great grandfather ever owned.

At first I was going to do something serious and shove some tons and 42s under it, but my wife indicated that she would like to drive it once in a while, so I'll ratchet back to something a bit more streetable. Probably 44/60 on 35's for now. It's always good to have the wife's support behind a project. After looking at it, I don't want to cut up a wagon this solid anyway.

Thanks for the inspiration.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #119 (Edited)
I built my battery box this evening. I mounted it underneath the body behind the crossmember because I don't want it in the engine compartment. There is a lot of stuff up there already.

I built it so it swings down for easy installation and removal. It is mounted right above the skid plate level. It is a very solid mount.

Going up...

Locked in place...

I will build a sheet metal cover for it later. And I still need to finish the little rod anchor.

I really think it came out nice.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I like the battery mount. Thats what I will be working on next time I get to work on the willys. I'll be running 2 much bigger gel cells. Interesting that yours fit inder the floor. Is that the passenger side floor? Those frame rails must be tall.

Mine will be further back under the body, on the outside of the frame rail in front of the rear tires.

101 - 120 of 1256 Posts