Pirate 4x4 banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts
Discussion starter · #42 ·
Bear with me, but I need some outside the brain thoughts for non-standard mounting of the upper triangulated links for my build. Bear in mind I'm trying to keep this thing as low as possible and not have to cut the floor to clear the upper links at full stuff. 35% up travel (6-8 inches) 65% down travel (10 to 12 inches). I can't upload a sketch at the moment. Will do so ASAP. I want to push the upper links forward and slightly down over the "nose" to the 14 bolt pinion casting. Just far enough that the top of the link bracket rides flush with the top of the diff cover casting. This will maximize up travel while maintaining a lower stance. It will also cause the pinion to rotate down during down travel cycles and rotate up more significantly during up travel. Is there any reason why (with a properly set up double cardan driveshaft) that it won't work, or cause too much articulation steer? I realize it's not the way most want to mount the upper links as I will also have to spread them slightly farther apart than over center, but will it function? Why or why not?

See how it affects the link geometry. On my scout build I had to put the upper links as far back on the truss as possible to get the anti squat to where I wanted it. Also make sure you have enough link separation so you do not tear off brackets and to improve geometry.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts