1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is something like this worth?
guy says

318 wide block?( never heard of it).
rebuilt 5 years ago, the hired man was supposed to be starting it now and then but never did. motor is locked up. has a dump bed on it with a winch for loading up stuff. 4 speed. hydro for the bed is supposed to work.
4.88 gears. two ton rear end in it. the wood in the flat bed is supposed to be shot.
I need a dump truck or a dump pick up. I burn wood for heat and need about 20 loads of dirt to fill in a retaining wall. renting or buying and delivery is going to be expensive. thought that this might be a cheap way to do it.
I was thinking of just taking the hydro stuff. but it would be kinda neat to have a 1 ton 4x4.
guy is asking 1000.00. I was thinking of offering 250 for the hydro or 500.00 if I can get the motor running.
plan is to pull the plugs and use PB blaster then use the winch on my truck to pull on it and see if the crank will move. (putting the old dodge in it's highest gear.)
5 years. the rings must be stuck or a mouse or something may have packed a cylinder full of stuff. (I have seen this on a chevy grain truck).
don't know if the hydro pump is motor, transmission or transfer case driven.

oh this thing from what I see on ebay is ugly as helll. with the big pizza pan head light surrounds, so hot rod.. not!

would the axles be any good? I have a rock crawler that I could use them on if they are not of the birfield or bendix joints.

any good advice??

thanks for your time.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I am guessing that will have a dana 70 front axle, with closed knuckles and drum brakes, basically a boat anchor. If it isnt the 70, it will still have drums up front, which generally means the axle is a boat anchor. At least as far as wheeling goes...for work, it would probably do a passable job.

·
Registered
569 Posts
the wide 318 is also a boat anchor but a standard (la) 318 is a bolt in an you can find those for almost free just about anywhere unless the truck is REALLY clean i wouldnt give any more than $300 for it ...
thats just my opinion

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
440scout said:
the wide 318 is also a boat anchor but a standard (la) 318 is a bolt in an you can find those for almost free just about anywhere unless the truck is REALLY clean i wouldnt give any more than $300 for it ...
thats just my opinion

hey thanks for your help.

sounds like I should just see what he wants for the dump bed part of it.
and stick it on a newer truck.
so the closed knuckles would have the bendix joints. (kinda like two wrenchs with a ball in the middle?)

oh well looking at it tomorrow if it is not raining or snowing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts