Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
the transfer case has been rebuilt and is ready to go. this was MUCH easier than the transmission!

I should be receiving my flywheel today. Once I have that, I can install it and the clutch, then the transmission, then the TC. Next step would be dropping into the patrol for test fitting!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I got the flywheel in yesterday, which means I was able to get everything bolted together! I had to finesse the trans and TC a little bit with an angle grinder to get it to fit, very close together!

I also had to relocate the shift stick pin screw. You can see the original spot for the screw right behind one of the gussets in the transmission. so I stuck an old screw in there with some loc-tite, and drilled and tapped a new hole on the right side of the shift tower. this will make it much easier to access the screw to install and remove the shift stick pin.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I just ordered all my new brake parts for the patrol for my disc brake conversion. I will be using the following:

Front brakes:
1993 Toyota 4runner 3.0L calipers and pads
1993 Toyota 4runner 3.0L rotors

Rear brakes:
1993 Nissan 240sx calipers and pads
1995 Isuzu pickup rotors

I wanted to go with 240sx rear calipers because they are pretty cheap, easily found (at least when you are in the drifting community :) ), and have built in e-brake cable attachments. The Isuzu truck rotor is 0.1" thicker than the rotor on a 240sx, so hopefully the 240sx caliper/pad combo will still drop onto the rotor nicely. If not, I may have to turn down the rotors a bit.

The brake conversion will start once the drivetrain is complete and installed in the patrol. I want to get it running first, then I will do all the axle work (SPOA swap, disc brake conversion)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The post you have all been waiting for...THE ENGINE IS IN!!!

I wanted to line up the shifter with the OEM shifter hole in the floor board cover piece, but I wasnt able to push the engine back any further due to exhaust manifold clearances. At least it left me with a bunch of room to work on stuff at the back of the engine if I ever need to!

These are the exhaust manifold clearances I was talking about. The driver side manifold sits a little further back than passenger side, so it will probably be a super close fit. I think ill try to find a set of low profile block-hugger headers.

Even though I wasnt able to move the engine back any further, all the weight is still over or behind the front axle, so it will work for me!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I was able to add a transfer case mount bracket onto the trans crossmember, as well as run the fuel lines. I also made the throttle cable bracket and ran the main power wire. I think since the engine is in, I will start on all the electrical items and get it cranked up!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
i got the exhaust manifolds in! They fit pretty well, but I did have to trim the side of the engine mount on the passenger side a bit. I will probably pull that manifold back off and trim it down some to give me even more clearance. Unfortunately some of the spark plug connectors are a tight fit, so I will order some new plug wires with 90 degree ends on them and that should fix it right up. But at least I can start on my exhaust routing now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Last night I got some minor stuff done as well as finished the engine bay relay/fuse center!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Last night I got deeper into wiring. I have enough setup to turn the engine over using the key, and it worked great!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Loving your build!

Mine is a bit more unconventional.

I chose a Dodge magnum 5.9L, NP435L, and fixed-yoke NP208. I never had a stock rear axle, but had the stock front axle for a little while. I now have a D44/D60. I went with hydroboost, a Scout II steering box, and GM tilt column. I dig the gas pedal. I am using a gas pedal out of a square body Chevy. I can provide more pics if ya really want to see them.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
wow, thats awesome! and here I was thinking I had the only Patrol on this forum lol.

what leaf springs do you have? are the leaf spring and shackle mounts on the patrols frame still stock patrol? I have no idea what leaf springs are on my patrol, but I will need to find new bushings and shackles for them eventually, after the drivetrain is complete.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Registered
6 Posts
wow, thats awesome! and here I was thinking I had the only Patrol on this forum lol.

what leaf springs do you have? are the leaf spring and shackle mounts on the patrols frame still stock patrol? I have no idea what leaf springs are on my patrol, but I will need to find new bushings and shackles for them eventually, after the drivetrain is complete.
Stock front springs outboarded with GMT400 shackles at the rear(drilled out to 5/8” and 52” rears with 6” long shackles. I’d provide pics, but that work was done when I was only like 18 years old, so it all looks like booty fab. I’ll get pics when I make it look a little nicer. Lol

Also, couldn’t get the link to work.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I'm using some Ebay block huggers. The fit is actually pretty good! Stainless runners to a 2.5" collector on each side.

I'll just have to upload that video to YouTube I guess and then repost a link...

·
Registered
6 Posts
AWESOME! Thanks for the share. I finally uploaded my first fire-off video. I just ran fuel line last weekend. Still gotta wire in my fuel pump and run power steering hoses before I can hear it actually idle.

I just followed you on youtube. I cant post a link to my video because of my low post count. This wouldn't be a problem if they hadn't restricted my old account, but oh well.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Got the engine running good now!

https://youtu.be/e77C_iSLPB0

yesterday saw the completion of the exhaust system, which is dual 2.5" to single 3", and the installation of the transmission covers. it looks pretty good! There is just one exhaust leak i need to fix, and I am waiting on a gasket to come in.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Now that the engine work is done (I got the radiator and hoses in yesterday), Its time to start on suspension. First, out with the front axle and disassembly!

First up is a custom disc brake setup

21 - 40 of 83 Posts