Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1970 Travelette Crew Cab - 1996 454 Swap

Looking for advice/ links to any builds of anyone dropping a 454 4x4 auto into a similar International. I needs a new drivetrain and got the 'burbon for free. I searched and came up empty. Thanks

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
That's not for a Big block Chevy motor its for a Gen III/IV Small block LS motors.

Really, not that hard of a swap if you have donor for the 454. Biggest problem is if the donor is if its a 4x4 you need a 2wd trans. As the travelette's are divorced. And the transfercase on the donor is on the wrong side so you can't use it.

Plus you need to go through the harness and make it standalone.

Be a decent swap though.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Or use the 4wd trans-tcase and have a doubler and a full power front pto.
That's true he never said the year of the donor I assumed late model Vortec 454 with drive drop transfercase.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The truck is a 1996 Chevy Suburban 454 4x4 auto, i dont think i will need dual cases for this tow vehical.I am interested in:

Will it fit w out firewall mods?

What is the easiest swap - use existing dash & steering column, pedals or remove existing dash and replace with Suburban dash/pedals/ column / computer/ etc?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The truck is a 1996 Chevy Suburban 454 4x4 auto, i dont think i will need dual cases for this tow vehical.I am interested in:

What is the easiest swap - use existing dash & steering column, pedals or remove existing dash and replace with Suburban dash/pedals/ column / computer/ etc?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should mention the truck has chevy 1 ton axles so it will handle the 454. Was going to go 6bt but got the 454 for free.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts

It will fit fine. The BBC is no bigger than the SV motor.

Easiest thing to do is remove the 454 and do not cut any wires. I would label everything. You can rework the harness.

Or you can get standalone Vortec 454 harness online still I believe. I know street and performance use to make them.

It should run with out a tune as the anti theft VATS till 1997. But will have codes that still need removed.

Forget the Dash, column, and pedal BS. Not worth it.

Just reuse the international senders for the stock gauges.

Sell the trans and get a 4x2 transmission then all you need to do is rework the short shaft to the transfercase. The 4x4 will not work with the divorced setup transfer case.

Get an alldata for the donor it will have wring prints. its well worth it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, this is great info! I would much rather keep the classic International dash and column so i will definitly follow your suggestion on the wiring. As soon as I heard selling the 4x trans, and buying a 2x I start to want to go towards the 6bt again for my daily driver/ tow rig/ light wheeler. Or a DT360. Hard decision to make...

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Thanks, this is great info! I would much rather keep the classic International dash and column so i will definitly follow your suggestion on the wiring. As soon as I heard selling the 4x trans, and buying a 2x I start to want to go towards the 6bt again for my daily driver/ tow rig/ light wheeler. Or a DT360. Hard decision to make...
If swapping out a transmission output is too difficult do you really think you are capable of swapping in a 6bt? Do you think swapping out a transmission is more difficult than grafting in a Chevy dash and pedals:confused:

·
Registurd Abuser
2,726 Posts
If swapping out a transmission output is too difficult do you really think you are capable of swapping in a 6bt? Do you think swapping out a transmission is more difficult than grafting in a Chevy dash and pedals:confused:
I am with you on this one. Thats all easy stuff. The dash would be a pita, but the wiring would be cake!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Usually is easy just to start with a 4x4 trans. You could take it to a trans shop and have them do it but they have to take the whole trans apart to do it. But that costs money.

If the 4x4 trans is good you should be able to trade or sell it, and pick up a 4x2 trans unit for next to nothing since would have the money from the 4x4

If you DIY you still having to buy a output shaft and tailshaft as well as the rear VSS new or used stuff.

If you have a donor just swap it in!

6bt would be best option but that's even more $$$

1 - 14 of 14 Posts