Pirate 4x4 banner

221 - 240 of 511 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
what length did you cut the front and rear ends down to? (wheel mount to wheel mount)
These are stock full width 1 ton axles and have not been narrowed. If I remember right front is like 69.5 and rear is about 67 inches. Wheels are heavily backspaced (5 inches or so) which is why they don't stick out too bad.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #224 (Edited)
Finished mocking up the exhaust hangers yesterday. Not sure how well it's going to work but here is what I came up with. I took a 1/2 bolt and threaded into the rubber hanger bushing that has a much smaller hole. It threads in really tight so there is no way it's pulling out. Then I used two shock tabs to hang the muffler. I am not sure how much heat those exhaust hangers can take but we'll see how it works. Here's a few photos.

MufflerMount1.jpg

MufflerMount2.jpg

Muffler Mount3.jpg

Exhaust4.jpg

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
So are you running any sort of muffler? With the exhaust ending under the vehicle do you get alot of rumble/echo through your floors. I had always figured that all that noise/fumes bouncing off the ground and the body tub would just get old. I definitely dig the simplicity of that setup.

I used to have fenderwell headers with the exhaust routing out each side below the passenger and driver and I hated it because of the noise and the fumes. Sounded mean but after driving it alot I grew to hate it.

I run a dynomax race bullet. I get a comment almost every ride on how good it sounds. It's small and tubular so it'll fit pretty much anywhere. I don't ever notice any fumes but it is pretty loud, not in an obnoxious way though. It's loud in a damn that sounds mean kinda way. Actually, here's how it sounds :laughing:

http://www.rebelrockrunners.org/gallery/d/17830-1/andrew.wmv

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #228 (Edited)
A little progress.
- Finished up all my wiring for the howell fuel injection.
- Installed Radiator and Plumbed hoses.
- Plumbed fuel lines
I plan on firing it up this weekend.

Also started working on the hydraulic assist steering upgrades. Took apart my powersteering pump and did the standard volume and pressure mods.
- Drilled the main fitting
- Removed the shim washer from the 2nd fitting
- Stretched the spring to 2 1/8 inches.
power1.jpg

Drilling the main fitting with a 5/32 bit to increase the pump volume.
power2.jpg

In this photo you can see the washer that is removed to up the pressure.
image0043.jpg

UPS stopped by with some goodies from PSC Motorsports.
1.75 x 8 inch stroke hydraulic ram. I gotta say this ram looks top notch.

image0046.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Fired up the 401 today and man does it sound and run good. There is just something about the sound of a healthy V-8.

I really can't say enough about the Howell Fuel Injection. Fired right up once the fuel hit the TBI and once the timing was set it idles and revs like a top. Worth every penny in my opinion.

I think I have run every carb under the sun on my AMC V8's (Holley's, Carter AFB's, Edelbrocks and Quadrajets) but man I can't get over how smooth and clean this thing starts and revs up. I have spent hours and hours with Jet Kits trying to get my carb dialed and I never felt like I ever got one perfect. This fuel injection is way responsive and crisp.

If you are considering fuel injection I would highly reccomend the Howell setup. It's just plain sweet.

Here is whats left.
- Drill/Tap the steering box for Hydro Asssist and Mount PSC Ram.
- Finish Welding Cage and Suspension Brackets.
- Build Some Front Shock Hoops and Mount the SAW Shocks.
- Paint up All the Bare Metal Parts
- Blead the Brakes.
- Take her for a cruise.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
i would love to see more info or specs on how you did the assist steering set up. it is pretty much what i am wanting to do with mine.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hey I lost track of this build for a while....looks dam good . You'll be ready for this season for sure. Yeah I still have the runner....I always think about runner cutting it up a bit more and moving to 42z.....we'll see....40z will work for now.

I'm curious...why don't you just go full hydro?

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #233 (Edited)
i would love to see more info or specs on how you did the assist steering set up. it is pretty much what i am wanting to do with mine.
I will post some detailed pics when I drill and tap the box and when I figure out how I am going to mount the ram.

I am going to tap the box with straight cut 9/16-18 pitch tap and I will be using a male 9/16 o-ring boss fitting from Surpluscenter.com to thread into the box. This fitting has a male #6 JIC on the other end that will connect to PSC's hose fittings and a male 9/16-18 oring boss fitting on the other side that threads into the box. The part number of this fitting is 9-6400-6-6 at surpluscenter.com. Here is a link.

oringboss fitting.jpg

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007021320040576&catname=hydraulic&qty=1&item=9-6400-6-6

With the oring boss fitting you need to chamfer the tapped 9/16 hole in your steering box with a 90 degree countersink to make a nice place for the oring to seat. I have been told to chamfer the hole a little less then the thickness of the oring so it seals good. Supposedly using oring boss fittings is better the NPT fittings as they don't put outward pressure on your tapped holes which sometime can cause cracking. I have never heard of a steering box cracking but makes sense in theory I guess.

I will post pics later.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #234 (Edited)
Hey I lost track of this build for a while....looks dam good . You'll be ready for this season for sure. Yeah I still have the runner....I always think about runner cutting it up a bit more and moving to 42z.....we'll see....40z will work for now.

I'm curious...why don't you just go full hydro?
I wanted the option to occassionally drive this on the street but mainly it was the extra $$$ required. Funds are tight right now and this project is way overbudget. :D :eek: :eek:

This project keeps growing and growing the more I do. I just bought the steel today to build a new frame which shouldn't be that hard and I am also very tempted to coilover the front too. Nickle and dime, nickle and dime.

I should be finished by summer but with 3 kiddos things are pretty slow going.

That 4 runner was real nice. Did you end up keeping the 39 inch krawlers?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
With three kids you're lucky to even have a rig....I get it.

Yeah, I still have the red dot 39s....I want to try some IROKs so they may go up for sale again.

Hey, let me know if you want some company on the shake down run.

·
Registered
690 Posts
This is an awesome build, can't wait to see it running.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Just finished the tapping and rebuilding the steering box. The pile of orings and gaskets makes the rebuild look more intimidating then it really is but you definitely just need to take you time and keep track of things in a nice clean work area.

Matt at West Texas Off-road was really helpful and hooked me up with the rebuild kit. I wasn't sure what the steering box came out of but if you provide him with the inside diameter of the steering box end cap as well as the inside diameter of the steering input shaft seal outside diameter (basically where the snap ring goes) he can set you up with a kit and new bearings.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Here is a shot of the tapped box. I used a 9/16-18 pitch tap and a 3/4 90 degree chamfer (countersink) bit to create the seat for the o-ing boss fitting. The bottom port is so shallow that you can start the tapping with a regular tap but you will bottom out before you really start cutting deep threads. I tapped as far as I could and then took a cuttoff wheel to chop the tapered end of the tap off.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
this things movin along, cant wait to see the final product.

221 - 240 of 511 Posts