Pirate 4x4 banner

1972 CJ-5 Buildup Project

310K views 510 replies 144 participants last post by  1Sinner 
#1 · (Edited)
Just thought I would post a few pics of my buildup. I have built this jeep several times before but this has been the biggest tear down and buildup yet. You know how it goes, first 33's then sprung over with 35's now the plan is full width with 42's stretched tub and wheelbase to 112 inches, Custom cage etc.......

Here are the specs.

Engine
AMC 401ci V8 bored .30 Over, RV Cam, HEI Ignition, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Edelbrock Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers, Currently has an Carter AFB 4 barrel but I have a Howell injection sitting on the workbench that I will be adding as part of this build.

Tranny
T-18 6.32 with an Atlas 4.3, 1410 Yoke front and rear.

Axles
Front - Dana 60 Front 5.13's, 1410 yoke, Sky MFG High steer arms,
Planning to run an ARB,
Rear - 14 Bolt 5.13's, 1410 yoke, Detroit, Discs

Up front I am running leaf springs and the rear will be 4 link setup on SAW coilovers.

See less See more
#131 · (Edited)
Bring on the Big Daddy

Going to swap out the trusty 304 for this 1977 401 I picked up. Will be sending my Howell fuel injection back for some rework to accomodate the big daddy. If anyone's interested in a 304 with around 30,000 miles let me know. It is built to stock specs with exception of an RV Cam.

Anyone running a howell efi on a 401, curious if should go with a bigger throttle body all together or just upgrade to larger injectors on the 304 throttle body? Any advise or experience?

The 401 internals are currently stock but down the road I am going rebuild for some horsepower and don't want to be swapping throttle body's so I would like something that is flexible enough to accomodate both setups.

Attachments

#133 ·
Sweeet!
It's about time you updated some pics. It looks better than you described. Really nice lines.

Keep it up! You (unlike myself) are in the home stretch.

Regards, RG

#137 ·
pmaddy said:
Another of the 1.5 inch .120 tubing that will be my shackle hanger.

The measurement from spring hanger bolt center to shackle hanger bolt center ended up being 42.5 inches. Not sure if this is stock YJ measurment but I wanted my shackles to sit at about 30 degrees. I couldn't have them sitting at too much more of an angle or my spring on the shackle side would hit the frame at full compression. Planning on running a 6.5 inch shackle.
How did this setup work for you, are you happy with your shackle angle?
Looking at doing the same thing on my Commando I'm running RE 1.5" YJ SOA springs and was thinking in the 43" range, my 5.3 will be lighter but I've got more sheetmetal hanging up there and have an 88Lbs winch going up front too.

#140 · (Edited)
792.5cj5 said:
I hope you are boxing that frame?
Its already boxed up past the upper link mounts but I do intend to box it the rest of the way.

Thanks for the info on the throttle body beyer05.

Those seats are PRP competition High Backs purchased from one of the vendors on the board. Go check out that thread for exact specs and colors.

#141 ·
LCAC_Man said:
How did this setup work for you, are you happy with your shackle angle?
Looking at doing the same thing on my Commando I'm running RE 1.5" YJ SOA springs and was thinking in the 43" range, my 5.3 will be lighter but I've got more sheetmetal hanging up there and have an 88Lbs winch going up front too.
I haven't run it yet so I realy can't say. I was limited by my clearance under the frame rail but we will see how it works out.

#142 ·
You do very good work and that jeep is sexy. I dont know if you have thought about this already, but the tubing that runs parallel to the body is really taking away from the beautiful body work. I did notice that you put another parallel section of tube in above the tailgate, so I wonder if you have thought about it already. Seeing how it is just tacked at this point, would it still be an option at all, to tuck that tubing down lower with the tub? Just my .02, as I could certainly never do as good of a job as you in the first place.

#146 ·
I like the way you mounted your coils, looks clean! I am wondering about the bar that you mounted them to on the top. Are you going to add any support to it? Is it regular DOM (.120 wall)? I would worry about it bending. I am trying to figure out how I am going to do mine.

Great looking build!

#148 · (Edited)
Well it's been awhile and here's the progress I have made.

- Plumbed all my Brakelines. Kiethflux in the vendor section offers a 5 line kit that comes with all mounting brackets and hardware. His kit is top notch and is money well spent. You won't find much better customer service either, great vendor. Here is a link. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291865

- ADCO drivelines did a nice job on my rear shaft. 1410's on each end. 3 inch 3/16 wall tubing with a long slip.

- Pulled my 304 to make room for the 401 I have been pulling together.

- Started mocking up fuel cell.

- It took a few trips back and forth to finally figure out the my dana 60 has 10mm 150 pitch banjo bolts on the calipers. Kinda wierd.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.