Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on doing a SFA swap on my 97' Yukon sometime in the future, no time real soon, but eventually. I just acquired a 1974 Ford standard cab flat bed dually and the front axle has the diff. on the drivers side as I will need. There are drum brakes on it, ratio unknown.... My question is, is this a decent axle to use? I have yet to measure and find if the width is right or anything, just figured I would throw my question out there before I even bother with this truck.

If this is not a recommended axle, no problem, I'll just use the truck as a ranch ride... If it is, what is needed to swap the front to disc brakes and 6 lug Chevy pattern?

Thanks in advance..

Jason

·
THE ROCK GODS
1,371 Posts
this one is easy, and that should be a high pinion D44, just remove everything from the knuckle out, and get the parts from a newer GM d44 with disk, the new knuckle will bolt right up and give you disk and 6 lugs. Many are going to tell you that a D44 is to small for your yukon, it will be fine, keep the tires under 35" and dont hammer it in the rocks and it will hold up. in the 70's many 1 ton trucks used a D44!!!!

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
I'm not sure if this will be the exact same axle, but I know that pre '78 Ford Dana 60s are pretty much junk. They have big external style hubs with 19 spline outers. They also have weird length shafts, so you'd have to go custom to put differnt shafts in them. They also have 1350 driveline U joints.

They do have MASSIVE inner Cs, are kingpin, and have the same 5 bolt knuckles as the prior years, and the same disk brake brackets. However the knuckles have a smaller opening circle with notches cut out, so you'd have to machine the knuckles bigger to fit standard Dana 60 u joints. Some come with stock "hydro-assist." Although the hydro assist is pretty useless, it has a pretty cool cast mount that bolts to the housing.

I'm not sure if this will be the same one as used a '74 since yours has drums, but that will give you some stuff to look at as to differences between later year D60s.

·
Registered
21 Posts
B2Krawler said:
this one is easy, and that should be a high pinion D44, just remove everything from the knuckle out, and get the parts from a newer GM d44 with disk, the new knuckle will bolt right up and give you disk and 6 lugs. Many are going to tell you that a D44 is to small for your yukon, it will be fine, keep the tires under 35" and dont hammer it in the rocks and it will hold up. in the 70's many 1 ton trucks used a D44!!!!
Sounds like its from an F-250 (I wouldn't imagine putting duallies on an F-100 would be terribly common), which is gonna have a low pinion closed knuckle d44. Wasn't until mid year in '77 that it became high pinion for the F-250s.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts