Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, got this Ramcharger back in 2014 and it sat for quite a while. Finally finishing up with school and have time to finish it up and hopefully drive it to King of the Hammers next week.

How it looked when I got it:

Factory 440RB
NP203 w/ Part Time Kit
TF727 w/ Shift Kit
Dana 60s F/R w/ Detroit's and 4.11 gears
48 Gal Steel Fuel tank with [email protected]$$ skid plate
F/R Tube bumpers, also heavy
37" Humvee Tires on 16.5 Weld Wheels
F/R Bench Seat from a 2000 Expedition

Hope to post an update soon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The first few upgrades/changes I did(No particular order)

• Cut the top to only cover the front seats
  • Swapped out the Rear dana 60 for a AAM 11.5" 14 Bolt w/ 3.73 gears
  • Swapped the huge fuel tank and skid for a 15 gal fuel cell
  • Ditched the rear bench seat and 2/3 bench from front
  • Offroad Designs Crossover Steering with a GM 2wd Steering Box from the yard
  • Removed the entire dash and replaced with a small dash over the drover steering wheel.
  • Cleaned up the wiring
  • A set of long tube Hooker Headers
  • A new set of mufflers(Working on brand and type, can't remember right now)
  • 38.5"x13.50"-17 Boggers on Pro Comp Steel wheels
  • Front of the frame had cracks at the steering box so I welded some reinforcing plate
  • Removed those [email protected]$$ bumpers and replaced with: front stubby hitch bumper, rear with 2"x4" square tubing with a pintle hook
  • New shocks all around
  • Front stainless steel braided brake lines
  • Rear shackle flip w/ questionable hanger and stock shackle
  • Found a grill at the yard from a 70s Dodge van
If I remember something else I'll add it.

Update on current progress coming soon...

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How it currently sits:
  • No more TOP!!
    • Planning on getting some stainless steel sheet to make some roof panels.
  • Working on the guages. Got some Equus Standard ones in there but hope to install some Autometer ones that I have.
  • Powermaster-9300 - PowerMAX Starter
    • Such a huge improvement over the original starter. A lot smaller as you can see.
  • MSD 8546 Pro Billet Distributor with blue Ignition Control Module from Summit.
  • New Dodge 5 pin relay.
  • Redid the wiring again. This time replacing the old glass fuses with blade style fuses and relays and tucked them under the dash. (Grounds are very important!!).
  • New Valve Cover Gaskets
    • My valve cover gaskets were severely leaking oil(especially near the firewall). The best remedy I found online was to drain oil, use the Fel-Pro gaskets listed below along with a thin layer of blue gasket maker listed below. Letting the gasket maker cure overnight before adding any oil is ideal. No leaks so far (running or left sitting or a period of time).
    • Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gaskets Cork-Rubber Marine Valve Cover Gaskets Part Number: 375-17945
    • Permatex® Item # 80022 - Blue RTV Carded Gasket Maker

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Nice rig. Always loved the ram chargers. I’m guessing your in La?
Thank you, often overlooked the Ramcharger is. Glad to have gotten my hands on this one. How did you guess? Just made my account today, surprised the name wasn't taken.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Things to come:
  • Replace old UV Degraded Spark plug wires with MSD Super Conductor 8.5mm Spark Plug wires PN: 31229
  • NP203/205 doubler
  • Winter's Shifter
  • Hydroboost
  • Hydro-assist steering
  • Front Bump stops
  • Lokar Throttle/Kick-Down Cables
  • Finish engine wiring
  • Install gauges
  • Start/Finish accessory Wiring
Hope to finish this by the end of the weekend. I'll try my best to document each task listed above.

edit 1:
Added hydroboost image

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It’s pretty damn good. Google “high lakes.”
Dang, that is some awesome scenery! Nothing like here in Socal where it's mostly sand, wind, and sun if you want to get into some real rocks.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Dang, that is some awesome scenery! Nothing like here in Socal where it's mostly sand, wind, and sun if you want to get into some real rocks.
Farthest south I’ve been wheeling is big bear. I want to make it to Johnson valley one day. It’d be cool to see koh too. Hopefully next year. I have to work the weekend it is this year.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Weather hasn't been cooperative with me. Haven't done much on the RC.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Made some time today to get the new spark plug wires on. Also removed the old vacuum booster unit. Hopefully can get the hydroboost on tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Got the hydroboost on today. Picked up some square tubing at my local HD and put some 3/8" holes in it. Had to take out the original mounting bolts since they were too short. Used some 3/8" x1.75" bolts to mount instead.

The hydroboost unit is from a 97 Tahoe. I'm using Russell Powerflex hose with the Russell -6AN fittings. The fittings on the hydroboost are the standard 16 mm x 1.5 and 18 mm x 1.5 O-Ring style.

Had to drill a 7/16" hole so the pushrod can mount level. I know the change in position affects my pedal ratio, probably higher than it should be. I will measure tomorrow.

Also started on the Winter's Sidewinder shifter and Lokar kickdown cable.

Trans cooler with fan oush fan on the front. Auxiliary electric fan for over the trans cooler for those long trail days or hot days in traffic.

Questions? Don't hesitate to ask/

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I also got the engine harness done. Once I finish the lights and accessories, I will cover them in 3/8" conduit for the bigger bundles and 1/4" for the smaller ones.

What it takes to run a 440. Definitely possible to use less if using a Ready to Run Distributor.

Borrowed my sister's label maker. Once those wires are taped, there is no knowing where they go. Also keep helps stream line assembly/diagnostic.

Finished up and installed. That damn vacuum booster hose need to be replace with a plug.

Assembling the hydroboost hoses. stainless steel for high pressure and black nylon for low pressure(thinking of going stainless too, it'll look better). The T-Fitting for the steering box return and hydroboost return can be seen too.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is this the grill from the 1970’s dodge van?
You are the only person who has noticed! It is indeed a 70s Dodge Van grill. The fit is almost spot on.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
are you sure it’s off a van? It looks like an early 72/73 truck grill
It might be a 72-75ish after doing further research. I pulled it at the yard off an ice cream truck so I'm thinking the owner of the ice cream truck must have swapped his.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts