Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been working on this for about the last 6 months. It's progressing slowly. Made enough progress to start a build thread. Got tired of the short wheelbase and no room for people and stuff. Didn't really want to sell this and start all over, so decided to make it what I need it to be.

Specs of the build:

Starting out with a 1978 CJ5, stretching to 108" wb
SOA config front suspension, Waggy springs, 5 leaf, high steer
4 link rear, with TJ coils
Front axle 78' Chev HD D44 4.88 gears, Detroit Locker, alloy inners & stubs
Rear axle 78' 31 spline Ford 9" 4.86 gears, Detroit Locker
37" MTR's
LQ9 6.0 liter
4L80E trans
NP241C with JB conv SYE
Holley Terminator LS MPFI system
Full Roll Cage

Frame extension is complete and fully welded

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
New gas tank installed with in tank pump capable of feeding LS motor

Next I'll be cutting off the ugly rear frame extension and plating the outside rear frame rails with .188 steel, plus strapping the top and bottom with .120" X 1"

I was able to come up with 4 RH Johnny Joints so far for the 4 link rear. More to come on that.....

·
Snooty Poser
1,123 Posts
I see them now.

As soon as i get my shithole of a garage cleaned out, I'm doing the same. What material did you use for frame extensions. I have 0.120 sheet for fish plates, but need to figure out what to get for the extensions.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The outer sleeves were made from 3 X 6" .120 wall HREW tube. Those were fairly easy and gave the extension a nice finished look. The inner sleeves were made from the same material, however, the inner sleeves were a bitch because of the way I did it. Harder not smarter. I cut 3X6 hrew down to the dimensions I needed to fit inside the rails tight.

A better way would have been to have a fab shop bend me up two .120 wall C channels to the dimensions I needed and then just weld those two C's together instead of having to make 4 welds down each inner sleeve. Was a bitch and ate up too much time. I'm glad it's done though.

·
Snooty Poser
1,123 Posts
I was planning on doing the same thing as you did. I'll have to see the cost on getting sheet through a brake.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Little bit of fwd progress about to be alot soon. I've got 2 weeks off over the Holidays so I'm gonna hit it hard and get as much as I can done.

Yesterdays work was plating the outside rear frame section to beef it up some. Got a new MIG machine and had to spend some time dialing it in. Wasn't using enough gas flow at first and had to learn the settings sweet spots for the thickness I was welding. Stitch welding 5" sections moving around and side to side letting things cool off between welds. Slow going, but made good progress.

Rear axle is getting ready for it's truss. The coil buckets are not gonna stay. I'm switching to coil-overs. The adjust-ability is too good to ignore and is worth every penny. Pics..

EDIT: coil buckets ARE staying. No room for coilovers :homer: I'm not cutting into the frame to make room. OME 2" HD TJ rear coils it is.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
P-train temp installed for mock up. Haven't ordered the 241 SYE yet. Soon.
One of my biggest questions answered today. Per the pics below I have about 1/4"-3/8" of front d-shaft clearance at ride height with a 2" OD shaft. Not great, but not too bad. I was happy to see there was any amount of clearance. I'll see how it does flexed out. Hopefully acceptable.

Looking like 21"-22" belly height and 107" WB (with stock gas tank in the way). Unfortunately, have to tilt the whole p-train down in the back more than I like, so rear d-shaft angle is tolerable. Rear ds at 20 degree angle at ride height. T-case is below the frame rails about 3-4". Will have approx 24" rear 1350 flanged CV d-shaft length at 107" WB.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rear 4 link mock-up has finally begun. Got the uppers where I want them. Waiting on pre-cut/pre-drilled brackets for the lower links. I was gonna make all of them till reality set in and I didn't feel like wasting time on making brackets when they are so affordable to buy and weld on. They look better than what I could make too.

The xmbr above the upper links might give clearance issues. Might not. I'll clearance, or remove it entirely if I need to.

Lower link frame xmbr will be gusseted with 1/4" plate to beef it up. Thinking of making the center section removable, but leaning toward not at this time. I can always make that mod later when/if I need to drop the t-case (which I hope is never). I chose to spread the lower links about 17" apart at the frame rather than bringing them close together. Gave better understeer numbers in the 4 link calculator. Pics...

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mock up complete, cycled it and flexed it out. No binding, no rear steer. Pinion angle doesn't change through full cycle. I'm gonna clearance the xmbr above the upper links to allow a full 5" of uptravel. I have 8" of downtravel. Time to make the rear links and move onto SYE, exhaust, then fuel lines. Truck and F-body manifolds won't work. Waiting for a set of C6 Corvette manifolds to show up. Not sure how I'm gonna route the 3" tailpipe through the links. Should be fun to work out.

Full droop

Full squat

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pics of the flanges I'm gonna use to hook up the pipes to the manifolds and pics of the coils/coilbuckets. Coils are slightly outboarded. Still working on bump stop length. Everything just tacked together. Next up, make the real links and shock mounts.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exhaust is routed, mostly final welded. Need a couple more hangers and a turn down, but the hard part is done. Pics are at full squat. Rear drive shaft clearance is minimal, but it shouldn't contact. Two 2.5" pipes into one 3". All mandrel bent mild steel. Couldn't afford stainless at this time. Don't have bad rust here, so it'll last at least 5 years, if not longer. I'll spray it with high temp BBQ flat black to help it. Pics...

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
looks great. How come you decided to go with coils? Seems like with the amount of work to mount them and the cost of the coils, brackets, shocks, ect. it would be not much more money and less work to upgrade to coilovers.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Coilovers were the original plan. Not enough room without notching the frame and I didn't want to. I like the frame how it is.

It's not hard to install coils, that should never stop a person if they want them.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts