Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently owna 1980 CJ5 with the 304 v8. I recently had someone offer to trade his 1979 Bronco for it. I dont know much if anything about them, so good, bad...decent trade?

It supposudly is all original, in decent shape, has a 400 motor, automatic and the usuall goodies.

My Jeep has a shackle rev. one piece shafts on 33's. Runs great, has some cosmetic issues.

Any info appreciated, thanks guys.

·
Registered
40 Posts
broncos ftw , trade

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do like the drivetrain better, should be a high pinion dana 44 front correct? 9" rear? and 205 t-case?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Going on prices around here, the CJ is worth at least three times what the Bronco is. Any CJ around here, even a worn out pile of crap is going for three grand at the least. Broncos can be had under a thousand in decent running condition.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
its a good deal if youd rather have a bronco, or really want a full size. not sure what state your in but havnt seen to many older ford 400's that still pass smog tests

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
They are good rigs. Lots more room than the jeep.
Downside is they are HEAVY. Esp. compared to a cj.
It will take a little getting used to. Don't expect it to float on snow as well unless you put significantly bigger tires on it than you have on your jeep.
Broncos have good turning radius, fit 35s easily, and are balanced decent.
A lot of aftermarket support is available, and there are a lot of examples of good build ideas to borrow from.
The 400 is an underrated engine. There is lots of tech here on how to build them cheap(ish) and make good power. No, you probably won't beat Pro's bbf with it, but you can make it get out of its own way.
If you prefer manuals, it is an easy swap to a T18 or NP435. There is an ongoing thread here where someone is swapping in a 4spd.
I think softtops are hard to find, though. You can have one made to fit over a cage at reasonable prices most places, though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I do like the drivetrain better, should be a high pinion dana 44 front correct? 9" rear? and 205 t-case?
yuppppp ...

and im swapin my auto to a np435 as we speak

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
There's a reason it's the most cannibalized (SP?) drivetrain ever. Keep it in the right rig and enjoy it the way Henry made it.
What are you smoking? That statement might have been correct 15 years ago, but it sure as hell isn't any more.

Ever hear of a 14FF?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think the question is really what do you want and what are you going to do with it. If you are looking at making something geared more towards hardcore wheeling and the drive train in your cj good still I would stick with it. I will allow you to run lesser parts without problems due to the weight and size.

On the other hand if you are looking for a trail ride that you can be comfortable and bring some friends the bronco is going to be much nicer. The only thing to remember is that if you plan on going big with it the 44/9 will most likley not last. In my personal experience with I wouldn't go over 35"s locker with the dana 44 in that size rig. The 9 well 40 spline and full float and forget its back there.

Oh and where are the pics?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Get the bronco, just remember........they're big! I tried some jeep trails once, turned out well I think.

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
What are you smoking? That statement might have been correct 15 years ago, but it sure as hell isn't any more.

Ever hear of a 14FF?
Excellent post. You really do know how to set people straight with your clever questions and condescending riddles. I bet that helped the OP out a lot.

Before I went apeshit on my 78 it was a very capable rig with stock axles on 38's. That would be true still today, as my kid's 78 is set up how mine was and he keeps up pretty well.

·
Registered
544 Posts
False!!! :shaking:
Depends on what you consider going big. I broke 4 or 5 sets of d44 shafts including 1 chromolly and I only had 35"s.

If you're playing in the mud then you'll be fine, get in the rocks with a locker and the d44 with blow the fuck up. It's a 5000lb rig with a v8 and half ton axles, you can't expect them to last.

Dana 44's were cool in high school, if you want to play with the big boys go one ton.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you take your rig places locked, the d44 will not last unless you have 1.6l tracker motor in it. I suppose if you went RCV's, trussed the shit out of it and changed the knuckles/outers you would only have to worry about blowing up carriers :flipoff2:

But in all reality the bronco is a good platform and an easy dana 60 swap if you so please.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Unless you need the room of the bronco, keep the Jeep.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Excellent post. You really do know how to set people straight with your clever questions and condescending riddles. I bet that helped the OP out a lot.
How about..... Go fuck yourself. Your statement about the 44/9" combo being the most swapped drivetrain is patently wrong, and not in any way helpful. Depending on the use, it is adequate for a bronco, or completely inadequate. Whether it got swapped into rigs half it's size is irrelevant to the subject.

As to being the most commonly swapped drivetrain.... Seriously?

I made a half joking response to your retarded statement, and you want to get butthurt. Well, get the fuck over it. It was a retarded, misleading, and basically WRONG statement, unless you go back 15 years, when 44 swaps were all the rage, again, as I already pointed out, in vehicles half the bronco's size. Never heard of anyone swapping 1/2 tons into 1/2 tons, other than the occasional swap to match lug patterns or upgrade to discs.

Either way, since you brought up useless posts, go back and re-read yours.
As to whether or not to swap a CJ for a Bronco..... Well, it's a nonsense question. It depends on what the intended use is, driver preference, etc. They are so dis-similar, there is no way in hell to make a recommendation without knowing those things.

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
How about..... Go fuck yourself. Your statement about the 44/9" combo being the most swapped drivetrain is patently wrong, and not in any way helpful. Depending on the use, it is adequate for a bronco, or completely inadequate. Whether it got swapped into rigs half it's size is irrelevant to the subject.

As to being the most commonly swapped drivetrain.... Seriously?

I made a half joking response to your retarded statement, and you want to get butthurt. Well, get the fuck over it. It was a retarded, misleading, and basically WRONG statement, unless you go back 15 years, when 44 swaps were all the rage, again, as I already pointed out, in vehicles half the bronco's size..
My apologies for seeming butthurt, you are correct to point that out. I didn't intend to seem that way, we're just seeing things differently. So in Pirate friendship I'll just say fuck you back.

Never heard of anyone swapping 1/2 tons into 1/2 tons, other than the occasional swap to match lug patterns or upgrade to discs.
There are a lot of these swaps being done as we speak on 1980-96 Broncos and F150s, along with nearly everything IFS that can use a driver's drop solid front. Even Chevy's! Search any 4x4 site for SAS threads.

Either way, since you brought up useless posts, go back and re-read yours.
As to whether or not to swap a CJ for a Bronco..... Well, it's a nonsense question. It depends on what the intended use is, driver preference, etc. They are so dis-similar, there is no way in hell to make a recommendation without knowing those things.
On this I agree 100% The driver is the biggest variable in the whole question.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you're playing in the mud then you'll be fine, get in the rocks with a locker and the d44 with blow the fuck up. It's a 5000lb rig with a v8 and half ton axles, you can't expect them to last.
well im talkin bout mud , nobody rock climbs around here

my old truck with a d44 & 9" on 44x18.50s

1 - 20 of 20 Posts