Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done or seen a 5 speed manual swap done on a 1979 f350 4x4 or something similar? The truck currently has a 4 speed man. and 4.10 gears. I would like to drop my highway rpm without changing out my diff. gears. At 70 mph It runs about 3k. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
just put in a ZF... its not gonna be a bolt in job, but it can and has been done alot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I still use my 205 t-case? Has anyone posted an article on this swap? thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
The NP205 should bolt up with a little clearancing for the shifter, Make sure you reuse the T-case mount on the side. The 205 is heavy, And will brake your adapter if the mount isn't used

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have looked into a nv4500, most people I have seen spend around $3,000 to do that swap. By the way, my engine is a 400m. My father in law has a zf, but I dont know if it is any good.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
if you have a 400 then make sure you get a ZF that was behind a 460 or the bells will be different...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The zf is behind a 460. Is the zf significantly longer than the 435? Will I have to modify my driveshafts?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I don't know the lengths of either, but I would imagine that you will have to modify the driveshafts... I can't imagine that they would be the same length.

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
the ZF is longer, but not by much..

The problem with the NV4500 is, they are hardish to find, spendy as hell, require adpaters to be put in, and IMHO, are an inferior tranny..

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
the ZF is longer, but not by much..

The problem with the NV4500 is, they are hardish to find, spendy as hell, require adpaters to be put in, and IMHO, are an inferior tranny..
Any trans with 5 gears instead of 4 is longer. This a crude generalization but the nv 4500 is basically an np435 with an overdrive added outside the case in the from of an aluminum housing. Most definately making it longer. While you get a lower first gear in a 4500 than a ZF. I believe the ZF is a better stronger trans. I have run both and have even rebuilt 4500s. But my experience has shown the overdrive portion of the two is far stronger in the zf. I had a 1990 F350 with 7.5l and ZF that wieghed 14,000 thousand pounds at all times! Then I would ocasionally tow another 5,000 to 10,000 pounds on top of that on a trailer behind it. I had never heard the "dont hual wieght in fifth gear" mantra till the truck was worn out and gone. The factory original ZF lived like that for 290,000 miles and was one of the last things working still when the truck was parted out. I drove it in fifth gear all day every day without so much as wine. The truck that replaced that one was a dodge with a cummins and nv 4500. It wieghed the same and lived the same mudbogging trailer towing life. It took a trans per hundered thousand miles miles to keep it going because I didnt know you cant hual that much weight in fifth gear any time. Let alone all the time. The dodge is now worn out and parked with around the same 300k miles and 3 tranny changes to get there. If I had a choice my ultimate drivetrain would be a cummins engine and the ZF behind it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I did the ZF swap in my '78 F250 with a 400. The 400 crank is around 1/2" shorter than the 460, I put a couple of washers behind the pilot bushing so the input shaft would have enough contact with the bushing. I used the flywheel and pressure plate from the 400 and a clutch disc from the 460 truck. The tranny I had was a hydraulic throw out bearing style, if you can, find a ZF that was a mechanical clutch. I welded the pushrod part of my clutch fork to the inner part of the ZF fork. The tranny mounts are the same, I had to move my cross member back about 1". My rear dirveshaft worked fine, but it was a little short after my lift so the tranny swap fixed that. I didn't have a front shaft in at the time of the swap, so I don't know about the length on that one. You also have to pound the body seam behind the bellhousing flat with the firewall.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts