Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, This is my first post to pirate.

My question: What is considered the best resource on the web for Dodge Military vehicles of the late 70's early 80's?

I have a unique 1980 Dodge Military Ambulance W400.
It is a 4x4 with 360, Auto, Duals, AC etc. The original color was airforce blue as seen inside the door jams and engine compartment.
I bought it as high bidder when it was retired from a rural fire department as it's rescue truck just a few years ago.
I was able to put it on the road for one season and enjoyed using it as an off road camper. The exhaust went, a front brake line snapped after the front brakes were replaced. It has been parked on a gravel drive ever since. I start and move all my semi-retired rigs at least once a year...

It has rot forming on the ambulance box and more than once I've considered turning it into a flatbed.... A picture just after I took ownership...

I have an 01 Cummins Diesel on a pallet that will eventually go into this rig or a 91 suburban that has an underpowered california 350. The decision swings around cash flow and time..... Or for the right price I might sell all these rigs before 'good intention' sees them turn into rust piles...

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
The Military Vehicle Preservation Association is the place to start for finding people with parts and expertise regarding all military vehicles. From the WWII jeep to recently demilled five ton trucks, there are members there who collect them all.

I would start with the forums that the members frequent first. Ron Fitzpatrick's G503.com has many sections for different trucks and Steel Soldiers is also great for its diversity of vehicles.

Even though your Dodge CUCV (Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle) is not nearly as popular in the hobby as the Chevy versions of the pickup and Blazer, there are collectors out there who can answer questions about the Dodge M886.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I know a guy with one outside of St. Louis, MO. It's been parked for lord knows how long. D70 up front, D80 out back, has a NP435 and a 205. Don't know what motor it has, other than it being a gas V8.

Always liked the truck despite my general despise for dodge.

Justin

·
Registered
233 Posts
The Military Vehicle Preservation Association is the place to start for finding people with parts and expertise regarding all military vehicles. From the WWII jeep to recently demilled five ton trucks, there are members there who collect them all.

I would start with the forums that the members frequent first. Ron Fitzpatrick's G503.com has many sections for different trucks and Steel Soldiers is also great for its diversity of vehicles.

Even though your Dodge CUCV (Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle) is not nearly as popular in the hobby as the Chevy versions of the pickup and Blazer, there are collectors out there who can answer questions about the Dodge M886.
I believe CUCV was the term used for the Chevrolet series trucks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nope, better luck next time :shaking:
Are you sure? Ill give you another chance to do some research.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/cucv.htm

oops heres another....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUCV

and another.....http://www.steelsoldiers.com/CUCV Stats.htm

aaannndd one more, keep in mind the dodge is an m880 and the chevy's were the m1008 CUCV's here is the TM's......http://www.military-manuals.com/military_vehicles_manuals/cucv-utility-truck-cargo-vehicle/cucv-utility-cargo-vehicle-truck-m1008-m1009-m1010.html

Your welcome

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
I think your own info proves you wrong.....

The Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle or CUCV Program was instituted to provide the United States military with a cheaper vehicle to augment the purpose-built, but expensive, Gama Goats and Humvees then coming into service. It initially provided Dodge D Series and then Chevrolet C/Ks with several military modifications. All were phased out sooner than expected due to their inability to endure the hardships that the purpose built vehicles could. The vehicle has five basic configurations; cargo, utility, ambulance, shelter carrier, and chassis. The vehicles were purchased in the late 1970s and early 1980s from Chrysler Corporation, Dodge Division, and in the late 1980s from General Motors.

Contents [hide]
1 Dodge CUCV's

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think your own info proves you wrong.....

The Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle or CUCV Program was instituted to provide the United States military with a cheaper vehicle to augment the purpose-built, but expensive, Gama Goats and Humvees then coming into service. It initially provided Dodge D Series and then Chevrolet C/Ks with several military modifications. All were phased out sooner than expected due to their inability to endure the hardships that the purpose built vehicles could. The vehicle has five basic configurations; cargo, utility, ambulance, shelter carrier, and chassis. The vehicles were purchased in the late 1970s and early 1980s from Chrysler Corporation, Dodge Division, and in the late 1980s from General Motors.

Contents [hide]
1 Dodge CUCV's
no everything ever written about CUCV's points to the Chevorlet. Nothing i have ever read says m880 series trucks. If you can show me something that says otherwise I will stand by my post

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
well I guess I really shouldnt use wikipedia for a source
I guess you figured out that I used your own links to show that you were wrong? Or at least that no one should ever cite Wiki for anything as, whether it is right here or not, it is a piece of shit reference tool and using it pretty much means the poster has no idea first-hand knowledge of what they are talking about.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I guess you figured out that I used your own links to show that you were wrong? Or at least that no one should ever cite Wiki for anything as, whether it is right here or not, it is a piece of shit reference tool and using it pretty much means the poster has no idea first-hand knowledge of what they are talking about.
try as you may, im still right. I made a mistake and got ahead of myself by using wikipedia. But ARMY TM's say I am right so thats all that matters.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
I really don't know if you are right or not. I just think it is funny that you posted a link saying the exact opposite of your claim.

If you are anyone else learned to not cite Wiki, I'm happy. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts