Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there any way to tell if you have an 11 or 12" clutch w/o removing it? It is a 81 cheyenne 20 3/4 ton 4x4 with the 350.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Xray vision would help!

IDK of a way to see w/o removing it because from the inspection cover side all you can see is the front of the flywheel

A 20 should have the 12 but you never know what someone has put in there since 1981

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
No can without Xray vision or being able to unscrew your eyeballs and stick dem up deah inside with tape measure!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So 12" is standard (oe) equipment?

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
11'' is standard, which is what you probably have. The 12'' (which actually measures 11-7/8) is usually found on the 454s. Different packages may alter the usual, such as a camper special

·
Registered
78 Posts
If your ordering a clutch kit with a flywheel, just go for the 12".

My saving grace in the wheeler was upgrading to the 12" and going with a diaphram (sp?) instead of the B&B style pressure plate. My left leg thanks me.

The extra surface area can't hurt.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
11'' is standard, which is what you probably have. The 12'' (which actually measures 11-7/8) is usually found on the 454s. Different packages may alter the usual, such as a camper special
LUK website looks it up as a 12", no matter how I change the inputs, I am rural and have to order in, would like to have the clutch here so I don't have to tear it down and leave it set in the shop.

·
What did you expect?
12,766 Posts
You could order both, return the one you don't use. I know that this
would be a burden due to your location, but balance that against the
time lag if you get the wrong one.....good luck. JD

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
generally, 12 inch clutches were used on most trucks, with 11 inch clutches used on cars. theres a difference in bellhousing between the two to fit the clutch and the pilot on the bell for the transmission input bearing retainer.

·
Registered
376 Posts
4spd truck and v8 will have a 12" clutch. You can use a 454 clutch disc and pressure plate if you want. They usually have more clamping force and more metal content in the clutch disc. At least the G.M. ones did.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
you could try removing the starter, but idk if thats gonna give you enough room to see inside.
Nah, the 465 bellhousing is flat all the way across the front, doesn't angle back like auto trans

GMCTruxrule said:
.... unscrew your eyeballs and stick dem up deah inside with tape measure!
:laughing:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts