Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine came into my office today and said a friend of his has a 1981 Cherokee he can have, he doesn't want it, but I figure I may take it, its free . But, before I bother to go get it, I'd like a little info. He said its a 360, but thats all he knows. What axles would be in it, probably 44s both ends? He said the rear cover isn't round, so its not a 20. What side drop would the front be? And he said the trans is a 4 speed, not a 176, said it is a lot different than the 176 in his CJ. So what 4 speed would be in it, and what t-case, D300? I did a web search, but the FSJ sites I could find didn't give this info. The ORC site that used to have it is gone.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The tranny & T-case I cannot help much on, but the axles are D44s, if the rear isnt the round helmet. Front axle housing should be a Driver side, I want to say that the gear ratio range may be in the 3.36 to 3.56 range. Most Quadratracs that I saw were a pass drop with the rear axle offset as well. Since it is a manual trans the gearing may be different than what I stated, also I doubt that it'll have the NP229 selec-trac case. You may want to go and get it anyway, if I had that opportunity I'd be all over it and have it home before dinner.

·
Registered
19,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mtndewmaniac said:
The tranny & T-case I cannot help much on, but the axles are D44s, if the rear isnt the round helmet. Front axle housing should be a Driver side, I want to say that the gear ratio range may be in the 3.36 to 3.56 range. Most Quadratracs that I saw were a pass drop with the rear axle offset as well. Since it is a manual trans the gearing may be different than what I stated, also I doubt that it'll have the NP229 selec-trac case. You may want to go and get it anyway, if I had that opportunity I'd be all over it and have it home before dinner.
Yeah, what I want it for is the axles for an XJ. And I figure someone will take the 360 off my hands, and if the trans is a t18 then I figure some CJ owner will want it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
well if the drive train is stock it will have a drive side drop d44 front and the rear will be a amc 20 with one-peice axle.

I do not know what the tranny is called but there is a 4 speed that is not the t18 only ever seen one. I think the t- case will be 208 again only seen the one. But if the rear diff is not round then someone could of swaped parts into it. If that is the case the tranny could be a t18 but the cj guys will not come running for it b/c it has a 13in input shaft so it is a little lone for them but someone might buy it and swap the input shaft.

go take a look and see.

well just looked at one of the mags and it says that a 81 could have a t18 in it but would have a 208 on the back of it. Also it could have the 176 with the 208 on the back of it. mmmmmm learn something new all the time

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you haven't already, check out www.ifsja.org. If the tech library doesn't help you, the forum folks should be able to tell you all about the truck. IIRC, there's a VIN decoder somewhere on the site that might help you out, as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts