Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

Premium Member
'81 Shit Box
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I should start a thread to archive my build progress, and to allow myself to get roasted by the rest of y'all 馃槅

1981 Toyota Pickup I bought off of CL

22r, Carb'd, Manual, Stock Gearing and TC, Body Lift, previous owner said new motor was dropped in and only has around 100,000 miles (not so sure on the accuracy of that since the OD doesn't work)

To Do List:
  • Going to run the "hose out of the carb" trick to have the carb do better on inclines, and then do propane eventually. - DONE Running on Propane now
  • IFS Power Steering Box w/ Marlin High Steer Kit - DONE
  • 4.88s all around - DONE
  • Spartan Locker for front - DONE
  • Yukon Spool for rear - DONE
  • Chevy 63s w/ Ruff Stuff mounting kit - DONE
  • U-Bolt flip kit from Sky Mfg - DONE
  • Boomerang Shackles for RUF swap from Sky Mfg - DONE
  • Dual 2.28 cases w/ Advance Adapter kit - DONE
  • Going to run the triple stick set up by RADesigns - DONE
  • 1.5" Spacers - DONE
  • 37s - DONE
  • Rock Sliders - DONE
  • Rock bumpers & winch up front - DONE
  • Roll Cage - DONE
  • Bucket seats with 4 points - DONE
  • Probably more that I am forgetting
When I bought it

How it is today

Premium Member
'81 Shit Box
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well, after a stupid long time in the shop for what was supposed to be a quick fix, turned into a rabbit hole of small problems. She is back in my garage now running better than ever so I am happy.

Before

Not the best, but not the worst :homer:

Premium Member
'81 Shit Box
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Pretty happy with the results.

I ran into an issue with the U-Bolt flip I did with the 63 swap. They gave me 3" u-bolts, and my axle housing is 2.5", so there is some gap in the U-Bolts.

I called Marlin and one of the guys I spoke to said that it is okay to run it like that. What do y'all think?? I don't think it is smart to run it with the gap, so I am now on the search for U-Bolt flip kits for a 2.5" axle housing. Anyone know a source?

I was going to do the RUF swap today also, but I am going to try to find the correct U-Bolt flip kit first before I do it.

Registered
:eek: that body lift looks huge!

might want to add lower body to the list

other than that, looks like it has potential :smokin:

Premium Member
'81 Shit Box
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the body lift is definitely something I am eyeballing. Once I get the 37s on it I am going to see if I should shorten it or not for clearance.

Thanks! :D

Premium Member
'81 Shit Box
Discussion Starter #11
Got some more progress done over the weekend.

Started on the Rear Up Front swap, using the SKY Mfg boomerang shackles.
Used the rears mixed with some leafs from the front packs, definitely added too many to start with, oops :homer:. Will be removing some this week after work.

Also built a quick and dirty rear bumper with tubing I had laying around.
Tubing is thicker than a bowl of oatmeal, hence the "Beef":laughing:

Fronts taken apart

Rears before adding leafs

Conjoined packs, definitely a little excessive, will be removing the bottom 3.
Read on here somewhere people add as many as they can initially, and then remove them to lower it to the right height, I may have went a bit far.

Stopping point for the night.

Premium Member
'81 Shit Box
Discussion Starter #12
Removed the bottom 3 leafs, was able to reuse the stock center pins. It is sitting pretty high up now compared to before. I will have to see how it sits after the winch bumper and that extra weight sags it down, may have to add one leaf back in but we will see :rolleyes:

Premium Member
'81 Shit Box
Discussion Starter #14
Any plans to take that body lift off?
Yeah I am definitely going to look at bringing it down. I am waiting until I get the 37s underneath it to see how they fit, and to see how much I can bring it down without causing clearance issues

Registered
cool truck man. I like the look. I think you should definitely look into getting some 2.5" u bolts for the rear. its unfortunate they told you that they would be fine. Im sure its "fine" but using a shit ton of bailing wire would be "fine" too.

Premium Member
'81 Shit Box
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Been sick for a week so I missed out on some garage time :barf:

Got some progress done in the steering department. Removed the stock steering rods and steering box, got the new arms and Tie Rod mounted, going to do the Drag Link and IFS box this weekend. I felt dirty putting those nice and clean parts on my dirty as shit axle, I plan on cleaning the entire axle to repaint and weld a truss on, so don't worry too much :flipoff2:

Old Box

"New" IFS Box from a junkyard pick, plus my second T-Case that is waiting on Advance Adapters to hurry up and send me the doubler

Need to cut off the rest of the stock steering, beer got in the way of that last night :homer:

Premium Member
'81 Shit Box
Discussion Starter #18
Got the IFS box mounted and the rest of the high steer put on. Have some frame stiffener plates coming in the mail, when I get those I plan on running more passed on the IFS box mount, but it is good for now.

Cleaned

Old Pitman arm was stuck on there pretty damn good, had to cut into it and then try the puller tool again to get it off.

Test fitting

Didnt get too many pictures of actually mounting the plates, but here is the finished product

Cut out a good portion of the body mount, plated it out further since I took out a lot of the original mount

I also got the Power steering pump mounted and ready to go, but then realized that I was missing the belt pensioner, a quick search resulted in me finding them for sale for upwards of $200 :mad3:

Found a cheap one for $20 somewhere and ordered it, not sure why most are crazy pricey...

Registered
Holy fucking body lift! Don鈥檛 bother with the truss on the axle. They concentrate all of the stress just outboard of the drivers side spring perch resulting in a bent axle.

Premium Member
'81 Shit Box
Discussion Starter #20
Holy fucking body lift! Don鈥檛 bother with the truss on the axle. They concentrate all of the stress just outboard of the drivers side spring perch resulting in a bent axle.
Hahaha yeah the body lift is a monster, not sure why the guy before me went with that large of one...

And that is interesting about the truss, I will have to look into that better, I will hold off on it now though thanks

1 - 20 of 96 Posts