Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 81 toyota i have been building i removed the front bumper blinkers so i could build a bumper.. i also built a tube bed for the back.. i just got it all done and i wired some new LED tail lights in the back and i went to test all the lights and the rear LEDS worked fine. the front fender lights work fine to but i dont have any headlights. high or low beam.. i checked fuses and wiring i cant find any problems. thanks

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Did they work beforehand? Bad Bulbs? Loose ground?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya they worked i drove it home in the dark when i got. they worked but dim. i used a power probe to power the bulbs and they worked that way just not with headlight switch.. i will check the grounds thanks.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I'd check things with a voltmeter/ohmeter. Not sure what you're refering to as a power probe?

·
Registered
225 Posts
A power probe is tool thatll read the voltage or tell if you have power or ground on whatever wire your checking. It also has a rocker switch that allows you to add power or ground to a circuit to check its function.

It sounds like your on the right trail. If you can turn on the lights with the power probe by back probing the headlight connector youll know the ground circuit is fine. My bet is headlight switch. Maybe relay. I frogot if they have a headlight relay. Ill have to check

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Just for background, I believe there should a relay with a single pos lead going to the head lights with the grounds being switched for high or low beam. I've also had a bad buld making both lights work, but were dim. Backfeeding throught the ground I think.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1985/1985FSM_OCR.pdf
then look at page 1024, should be similar

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Pull the headlight fuse and inspect it. I just had one of the ends come off of my headlight fuse. The fuse looked good and had continuity, but wouldn't pass enough amps to work the lights.

·
Registered
226 Posts
In my 1980 the headlight relays are located under the dash above the steering column. I forget if it's right side, left side or just one of the two relays are used for the headlights. Their small round looking ones side by side.
maybe you will get lucky and that's your problem.

side by side.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Pull the headlight fuse and inspect it. I just had one of the ends come off of my headlight fuse. The fuse looked good and had continuity, but wouldn't pass enough amps to work the lights.
This can be determined with a volt meter. With the headlights on, trace the voltage till a drop or loss in voltage is seen. Most likely you would have seen battery voltage on one side of the fuse and a lower voltage on the headlight side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have an 81 toyota i have been building i removed the front bumper blinkers so i could build a bumper.. i also built a tube bed for the back.. i just got it all done and i wired some new LED tail lights in the back and i went to test all the lights and the rear LEDS worked fine. the front fender lights work fine to but i dont have any headlights. high or low beam.. i checked fuses and wiring i cant find any problems. thanks
Did you ever get this issue figured out? I have new LED headlights and couldnt get the lights to work at all, then I swapped the ground and the low beam wires on the H4 connector and got the low beam to work, but still no high beams. ordered a wire harness off amazon, with relays and still the same thing no high beams. Does anyone have any help for this issue? Its on an 81 sr5. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts