Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some wheeling and dealing with a guy from Galt Calif for this Trailblazer. It has 148k miles ,but doesnt run. The body is almost perfect. It is completley stock, and unmolested. It looks like the only thing changed was the strereo. The dash is cut and a little messed up. It even has cruise control. From what I have read The Trailblazer was a first attemp of a small SUV/4runner. Griffin took new Toyotas and did an SUV conversion on them by cutting the back of the cab out and adding rear seats. . The top is firberglass molded to the cab and bed. 400 were built. Trekker is another that was built by Winnabego. There were 1200 of those built. For now I plan on doing a restoration like I did my 1981 SR5.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Argh, I've been wanting to do the same thing, and you got this one right by me:flipoff2:

I'll be watching this one for sure!

·
Registered
358 Posts
nice, I wish my Trekker looked that good when I got it. Of course if it did then I would feel bad bashing it on the rocks:D

·
Banned
11,679 Posts
There was a pretty beat up ole trekker for sale here in town recently. Needed some TLC and the guy wanted $2100. Cool lookin rigs:grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Nice looking Trailblazer, i used to have one that i sold a while back, it was not anywhere near that nice, i now have a really clean Trekker that i DD.

Little clarification for you though, there were 4,000 Trailblazers made each year from 1981-1983, a total of 12,000. They were a test market vehicle from Toyota to see if there was any interest in a small SUV, the market was good and they released the 4runner in 84. I bought mine from the original owner and i still have all the original documents, certificates, books, window stickers for it. If you have the original Owners Manual there should be a metal plaque glued to the very back cover with the serial number, mine was #3569 of 4000 from 1983. My dash still had the plaque glued to it also that said "Special Order for Randy Bruener" with a date and dealership name, he was the guy i bought it from. If you have any other questions let me know, I did a lot of research and have a ton of info on these and the Trekkers.

Here is my Trailblazer, interior was really good, body/frame were pretty rusty, he was my brothers neighbor and parked it out back of his house in a field for 9 years, never started it once! My brother thought it was a pickup went and asked if he would sell it he said yes and told him what it really was, my brother called me and TOLD ME that it wasnt in too bad of shape and that it actually fired up and ran good when poured some fuel in the carb, i bought it sight unseen on his word, apparently my idea of not too bad is a little different than his...

Here is my Trekker, it is really clean and now has a 22RE and is my daily...

·
Registered
237 Posts
serial #

where is this serial num my crawler is a trailblazer that someone put the cab back back in im just interested to see what serial it is

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice looking Trailblazer, i used to have one that i sold a while back, it was not anywhere near that nice, i now have a really clean Trekker that i DD.

Little clarification for you though, there were 4,000 Trailblazers made each year from 1981-1983, a total of 12,000. They were a test market vehicle from Toyota to see if there was any interest in a small SUV, the market was good and they released the 4runner in 84. .

WOW...:D Very interesting. It sounds like you know what you are talking about. I had never heard of one until I saw this one for sale on the board. I found my numbers on the yotatech forum. MIne has a plack on the inside drivers door jamb. It just says it was biult by Griffin on 06/08/83. It doesnt give a number. The build date on the truck from Toyota was 03/83.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
where is this serial num my crawler is a trailblazer that someone put the cab back back in im just interested to see what serial it is
My serial number was glued to the back cover of the original owners manual on a little metal plate, was also on the plaque that was attached to the dash that had the original owners name ("Special Order for...") and mine had another plaque that was attached on the inner door frame, drivers side, that had the serial number, it was next to the plaque that had the build date and Griffin name.

WOW...:D Very interesting. It sounds like you know what you are talking about. I had never heard of one until I saw this one for sale on the board. I found my numbers on the yotatech forum. MIne has a plack on the inside drivers door jamb. It just says it was biult by Griffin on 06/08/83. It doesnt give a number. The build date on the truck from Toyota was 03/83.
Yeah Yotatech has a bunch of different threads with a bunch of different info, none of it is very accurate, who knows, mine may be wrong too but it came straight from documents that i received with my Trailblazer and Trekker and from "official" Toyota literature that i found online and from a guy I know that works for Toyota still today and was part of the design/marketing team for these conversions, along with the Chinook, Custom Cabs, late 70's 4wd conversions (Wolverines) and some other odd Toyota "concepts". I am not saying that I know everything or that it is 100% accurate, just giving you the info i learned, for whatever its worth.

Okiyota, not to hijack, but you should post up any other info you have on these Trailblazers/Trekkers.
I have posted quite a bit about them here, on yotatech for some of those guys that sent me emails and over on www.toyotatrekker.proboards107.com which is owned by Corey, (Slacker here on on Pirate). He also owns www.toyotafiberglass.com and has a few Trekkers of his own, one he is building right now that is going to be awesome when done. He has a wealth of knowledge on these trucks as well, and i believe worked for Toyota at one point when these were being produced as well. Its all out there to find but if you have any specific questions let me know and i'll see what i can dig up.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well,I worked on the electrical a little and changed the carb, and got it run. It has a rod nock, so it looks like I will be rebuilding or replacing the engine.

I had an old chinese quad one of my buddies dropped off at my house about a year ago. He said he was giving it to my 9 year old. Well the thing didnt run, and it was a POS.He just wanted it out of his garage. I spent $50.00 on a battery and cleaned out the fuel system and was able to get it running (barely).

I found an 83 toyota in a guys front yard a few months ago that wasnt running. He said it had a new engine, but wasnt ever finished or started. He wanted $700.00 for it. I called him, and was able to trade him for this chinese quad. It has no rust and is really straight. The interior is partially missing.

It turned out to be kinda nice for a parts truck, but oh well. The body is really nice, and it has everything I need under the hood.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Wow, that is disgustingly clean to be parted out :(

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know where there is a completely stock one owner 1979 long bed 4x4. It has a nice body, and still has the hubcaps. The guy is in his 70's and picked it up on the docks of Long Beach right off the boat. I offered him $500.00 for it. There are a few in the High desert in back yards. Most dont run, but bodies stay nice out here. Never have rust issues.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
My serial number was glued to the back cover of the original owners manual on a little metal plate, was also on the plaque that was attached to the dash that had the original owners name ("Special Order for...") and mine had another plaque that was attached on the inner door frame, drivers side, that had the serial number, it was next to the plaque that had the build date and Griffin name.

Yeah Yotatech has a bunch of different threads with a bunch of different info, none of it is very accurate, who knows, mine may be wrong too but it came straight from documents that i received with my Trailblazer and Trekker and from "official" Toyota literature that i found online and from a guy I know that works for Toyota still today and was part of the design/marketing team for these conversions, along with the Chinook, Custom Cabs, late 70's 4wd conversions (Wolverines) and some other odd Toyota "concepts". I am not saying that I know everything or that it is 100% accurate, just giving you the info i learned, for whatever its worth.

I have posted quite a bit about them here, on yotatech for some of those guys that sent me emails and over on www.toyotatrekker.proboards107.com which is owned by Corey, (Slacker here on on Pirate). He also owns www.toyotafiberglass.com and has a few Trekkers of his own, one he is building right now that is going to be awesome when done. He has a wealth of knowledge on these trucks as well, and i believe worked for Toyota at one point when these were being produced as well. Its all out there to find but if you have any specific questions let me know and i'll see what i can dig up.
any chance you could get some info from him on the custom cabs next time you talk to him. I have 3 of these trucks and I want to see if the history/info i have on them is indeed true.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts