Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done searching on the web and the boards and not really turned up anything useful anyone have a good source for info and parts. Any help would be appriciated

Thanks CHris:D

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Try this guy.
importdieselparts I'm getting ready to overhaul my 2L. He's the only person I've talked to in the 'states so far that has a consistent supply of parts. I sent Ted (engnbldr) an e-mail asking if he had a kit, but he doesn't stock 2L parts. Maybe if you e-mail him and ask he'll catch that there's demand for them.

Good luck to ya,

Drew

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
gutless underpowered and not worth the effort , unless you use a 3.0 toy diesel ,possibly . course if ya got about 4k you could be probably the first to put a cummins b4 in :eek:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Chris,

What kind of parts are you looking for? Are you doing a rebuild? Conversion?

In stock form the Toyota diesels are gutless. But It is not hard to get these motors to make some power. Diesel's are alot easier to tune than gas cars cause you don't need to watch your air/fuel ratio. Infact the leaner the better!! If you install an EGT sensor and stay within limits you can safely makes lots of power. Look at all those guys with power strokes/ cumings putting out 600 HP.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
gadget said:
Chris,
Diesel's are alot easier to tune than gas cars cause you don't need to watch your air/fuel ratio. Infact the leaner the better!! If you install an EGT sensor and stay within limits you can safely makes lots of power.
Any idea how much boost a stock 2L can handle? If I'm going to rebuild anyway, where would my money be best spent to increase this?

Drew

·
Registered
116 Posts
dreamerof1 said:

Any idea how much boost a stock 2L can handle? If I'm going to rebuild anyway, where would my money be best spent to increase this?

Drew
Try not to think of it as how much boost is to much but rather how much fuel is to much. The leaner the better. Diesel really like the extra air. That is why there is no throttle plate. I have seen trucks running 60 psi. Air fuel ratios of 100-1 are not uncommon.

Biggest proble is maxing out the Turbo. I think they (CT20) are good up to about 12psi before you drop out of its efficiency range. Good money is spent on an efficient intercooler. Also get an EGT sensor, it's not about the boost but the amount of fuel. You run diesel's up till you start maxing out the exhaust temp.

If you want to go really big on power you may want to drop the compression down. The 2L is 22.5-1 and the 2LT is 20.5-1 Other problem areas is the head gasket. This is going to be your weakest part of the motor. I would have loved to of o-ringed mine while it is apart but with the prechamber it is not a perfect circle around the cylinder so would have been expensive machine work.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I have a complete turn key 2LT that has been sitting in my garage for a couple of years. I even bought the $300 bell housing to bolt up to a W56 trans. Want it?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Desertoy,

Yea, I called you in a couple months ago on it. I was John Halls friend. I have a Z up for sale. When it sales I will come down and pickup that sucker up from you. Will give me an excusses to go to J.V. I can send you a deposit if you want.

Mike

·
Registered
43 Posts
so you are saying that an inercooler would be my best bet for upping ponys on my motor, been trying to find some sources for upgrade parts but haven't been sucessful, all of the stuff is for the cummins, powerstroke, etc.. Do you have any links with some more in depth info on pumping some power outta my 2lt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts