Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1985 22RE, and I'm having problems with the check engine light coming on. when I run a diagnostic it gives me code 12 (knock sensor circuit). I've heard that if I retard the timing to 0^BTDC it will cool down the combustion temp enough to reduce detonation. I also heard if I switch to a higher octane fuel it will do the same thing. has anyone had this problem before? its a pain in the arse cause everytime the check engine light comes on the ECU retards the timing to compansate for the "Pinging"....that in turn makes the truck run crappy till I shut it off. the light usually comes on at 2000 RPM's, no matter wat the load is.... this is really ticking me off. I have already replaced the TPS and O2 sensor, but the code was unrelated to the TPS and O2 codes I had coming up as well. If you can help me that would be great, I tried running a search on the Web before posting this question, but location such specific info on the net is like pulling teath...Thanks again...CyA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
SCREWBALL said:
I have a 1985 22RE, and I'm having problems with the check engine light coming on. when I run a diagnostic it gives me code 12 (knock sensor circuit). I've heard that if I retard the timing to 0^BTDC it will cool down the combustion temp enough to reduce detonation. I also heard if I switch to a higher octane fuel it will do the same thing. has anyone had this problem before? its a pain in the arse cause everytime the check engine light comes on the ECU retards the timing to compansate for the "Pinging"....that in turn makes the truck run crappy till I shut it off. the light usually comes on at 2000 RPM's, no matter wat the load is.... this is really ticking me off. I have already replaced the TPS and O2 sensor, but the code was unrelated to the TPS and O2 codes I had coming up as well. If you can help me that would be great, I tried running a search on the Web before posting this question, but location such specific info on the net is like pulling teath...Thanks again...CyA
I dont think you have the codes right, try this site:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/index.html
I get a knock sensor error (#52) guess i have to look into replacing it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,586 Posts
This might be the EGR isn't working. 2k is the point where the EGR comes in. EGR helps control detonation.

Knock sensor code comes on for a couple of things.
No signal (bad sensor or bad wire)
Count higher then acceptable range. (Bad sensor or its really detonating out of control).

Now usually if its out of control detonation you will also get an EGR light but not always.

Now it could also be going lean on one cylinder. That would trip the sensor but it may run the other three rich so the O2 see correct value.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,586 Posts
jrizman said:
I don't think you have the codes right, try this site:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/index.html
I get a knock sensor error (#52) guess i have to look into replacing it...

I don't thing you read his post right. He stated he has a 85 not a 87 up.

85 and 86 are different codes then the link you posted. Code 12 is knock for 85 and 86 (and early 87).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Grim,
Didnt realize they were different for those years. my buddy has the Toyota manual pdf for an 85, that would be similar for the most part to my 91, no?! i mean for a majority of the stuff id like to have it for anyway...

as for my issue, i have tried this foil thing that was suggested, but think it might be the sensor. i will replace it and see if that helps any. as for the wire running to it, doesnt look as though that would be an easy fix.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,586 Posts
jrizman said:
Grim,
Didnt realize they were different for those years. my buddy has the Toyota manual pdf for an 85, that would be similar for the most part to my 91, no?! i mean for a majority of the stuff id like to have it for anyway...

as for my issue, i have tried this foil thing that was suggested, but think it might be the sensor. i will replace it and see if that helps any. as for the wire running to it, doesn't look as though that would be an easy fix.

Thanks!
The quick and dirty way to see what you have is the jumper. If you have the square box diagnostic box then its 87.5 up. If you have the two round yellow diagnostic plugs on the driver side fender then its a 85-87.5.

Here is the Thread that has the link to the 85 PDF manual.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329685&page=1&pp=25
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,615 Posts
Bringing back an old post....what is this tin foil method? The link above is dead. I don't want to buy a knock sensor if I don't have to....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
604 Posts
Bringing back an old post....what is this tin foil method? The link above is dead. I don't want to buy a knock sensor if I don't have to....

I believe "Toyfamilly" was refering to me. I had the same problem and what I did was insulate the wire going into the block (knock sensor) with tinfoil and ziptied it on. Looks kinda funny but it stopped my false engine codes. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,615 Posts
luigi said:
I believe "Toyfamilly" was refering to me. I had the same problem and what I did was insulate the wire going into the block (knock sensor) with tinfoil and ziptied it on. Looks kinda funny but it stopped my false engine codes. :confused:
Just wrapped it around the wire, huh? Easy enough, I'll give it a go. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
i dont believe that helped my issue... i had other issued to deal with, ended up replacing the knock sensor (its not much $) along with cap, rotor, dist, wires, plugs...
i did leave the foil on the sensor wire though :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,615 Posts
jrizman said:
i dont believe that helped my issue... i had other issued to deal with, ended up replacing the knock sensor (its not much $) along with cap, rotor, dist, wires, plugs...
i did leave the foil on the sensor wire though :)
Where did you find a cheap knock sensor? I just did a quick search online, and it looks like they're in the $150 range. :eek: :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
roger that, it was a used one that worked out fine for my needs. 150 sounds pretty high though, if i remember right ... i get a lot of my shit at cost when i can!
try to find a used one, it should be okay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW, this is a blast from the past. turns out I forgot to tighten the knock sensor when I installed the motor, after a few turns of the wrench the problem went away. that was over 5 years ago...LOL
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top