Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I am in the middle of my 4.0 swap from a 93 xj to my 85 cj7. I have figured out all the wiring and have got the jeep to start and idle. I am wondering if anyone has successfully used AX15 and np231 transfercase in this swap. I know about tranfecase drop down does not align with the front axle, but I have read that you could swap out the axle with an yj or wrangler. Thoughts?

·
P.B.A.
4,358 Posts
The dana 300 from your cj will bolt up to ax-15. Use that better tcase anyways.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I purchased the CJ it did not come with a motor or transmission. Also, I believe you need to get an adapter kit to mate the dana300 to AX15, which is an option but would require me to search for the dana 300 and order the kit.

I would like to try use the the resources available to me at the moment.

Thank you for your input RANERROD!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I purchased the CJ it did not come with a motor or transmission. Also, I believe you need to get an adapter kit to mate the dana300 to AX15, which is an option but would require me to search for the dana 300 and order the kit.

I would like to try use the the resources available to me at the moment.

Thank you for your input RANGERROD!

·
P.B.A.
4,358 Posts
The spring perched on the yj are much wider than cj. You can go through fabbing wider mounts and out boarding springs to run a shittier front axle. Or bolt in a dana 300. You’ll need a 3/4” spacer ring (which you can also then click the t-case flatter) sold in the vendor section for $50ish iirc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can put whatever axle/tranny/tcase combo you want in there. A YJ axle is wider and the perches don’t line up though, so you might be looking at outboarding the springs. The t case shifter linkage is also different. It’s not a bolt-in swap if that’s what you’re asking, except for the 4.0 and AX15.

With the amount of work involved, you should either swap in a decent axle like a Dana 44 or source a Dana 300 and keep the stock axle (which you should swap out eventually anyway).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts