Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Chevy folk! I just brought home my first 4x4 this week, a 1985 Jimmy Sierra classic which i got for about $1k. Ive been around the offroad world for roughly 15 years now solely through dirt biking and got the itch to build a rig to be used on the rubicon/ slick rock/ hollister. The truck runs pretty decent and has a few added bonuses that made me think that its a strong base point.

pretty sure:
4.10 gear ratio
4-5 inch lift
steering box fix/welded
knockoff 33" swampers

what i know:
AC!
Power windows!
10 bolt 8 lug front with Dana 44 knuckles
14 bolt 8 lug semi-float rear
350 Chevy with almost all of the emission crap
700r4/ np208

Ill be taking many pictures of the progress and breaking down some of the more DIY stuff. I have a family camping trip to Loon Lake on the 8th of next month. So i'm hoping i can get it back on the road/smogged and beefed up for a little Rubicon action. I don't expect to do the entire trail because i'm still getting to know the truck but you can bet there will be at least one shakedown run to Carnegie before i take off. I may end up missing my trip because somethings just don't go as planned but ill give it my best shot.

It actually fits in my garage,till i get bigger tires... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hopefully there's some hardcore tech soon or this will turn into a shitfest. Decent looking Blazer though, that thing would be worth 5 times what you paid here in the rust belt.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Wow o_O That is one clean looking blazer! Its a good sign that the previous owner put some time and thought out upgrades to it. Have fun! Get a winch, rear locker and some rocker panel protection. Dont run over a 37" tire if you want that 10bolt to live with even mild crawling.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Yeah I have a mortgage payment so you wont be seeing me buying and bolting things on. I have alot of plans for this thing which ill outline in a bit. I work in a machine shop so ill there will be a bit of hardcore tech going on here soon. Going to start making a tire carrier that adapts to the already in place brackets on the back on monday. Im also hunting for a winch which ill need to make a bumper for of course. My summit racing brand seat came in today so ill share some pictures of it in a bit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it wasnt for harbor freight id be screwed. Ive actually found a few m8000 warn winches in the $300 range, not sure if its better to have a used warn or new badland. Im debating if that 10 bolt front is asking for trouble by taking it over the rubicon with 35's?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
35's and an open front diff? You'll be fine. If you had a locker up front, Id say no way in hell. But with an open diff, you cant stress out the axle that bad. No worries.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool. I suppose i can make it work until i find a d60 for the front. Got my seat opened up from Summit last night. Definitely worth $157 bucks. Ill be buying a second one for the passenger side eventually.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1130l/overview/

Got quite a bit of work done to it yesterday. Mostly fixing things that were broken or not working properly from sitting for 3 years without use. The U clamps holding the u-joint on were less than finger tight and i noticed the rear u-joint was also blown so i pounded that out and have one ordered on the way. Definitely have too much pinion angle where that rear u-joint was so it will have to be shimmed (likely DIY4X shims).

Always a good feeling when you don't have any rust inside the cab!

·
Registered
157 Posts
It would be wise to ditch those auto locking hubs. They are fine when they work, but you never know when they will decide to stop working.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I haven't mounted the seat yet, im actually taking the bench seat out now. I may have to make some L brackets on Monday but ill take some pictures of it mocked up soon.

As for the auto hubs i think im going to leave them for now. I just don't want to give the front 10 bolt anything more then fresh fluid and a gasket.

Free shipping from 4wheelparts on my new 60" HiLift...

·
Registered
157 Posts
So when you get stuck somewhere because a hub doesn't lock, at least you will know the fluid is new :shaking:

Seriously, screw the new fluid and change the hubs. You don't even have to buy new, get a pair for 20 bucks at the junkyard or off CL or something.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So when you get stuck somewhere because a hub doesn't lock, at least you will know the fluid is new :shaking:

Seriously, screw the new fluid and change the hubs. You don't even have to buy new, get a pair for 20 bucks at the junkyard or off CL or something.
hahaha ok ill try to find some warns from ebay or maybe pick n pull. Ive been meaning to go to pick n pull because there's one near my house. maybe ill find a dana 60 there.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i got quite a bit more done today! I confirmed that theres 4.10 gears in the axles and the rear axle is open :barf:

Not sure what im going to do about that...there's quite a few 14 bolt full floats around for under $400 bucks. I may end up just welding the rear end until i swap out with something else. I know running open/open gets you pretty much nowhere off-roading.

Finally got the bench seat out that was held in with 2 bolts :eek:

Looks like its already spoken for...

Continued tearing the carpet out and replacing blown rear u joint.

Finally popped the seal on the hardtop...original owner said its never been off and id believe it. Damn thing is heavy!

Looks much better without the top on!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ordered another seat today and some RCI 5 point harnesses. They should be here tomorrow or the next day. Ill be prepping the bed for herculiner tonight and picking up a in-cab roll bar tomorrow.

I still need to correct the pinion angle and fix some brake issues and then ill be back on the street!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well Ive been powering through the BS work on this thing (cleaning, fixing oddball repairs, etc). Ive got the truck all Herculiner'd now and it looks great. Id definitely recommend it as its a roll on bed liner with rubber bits in it and is pretty damn strong. I cleaned up the inside of the truck to apply this stuff which took much longer than i anticipated. There was a lot of adhesive left over from sound deadening material which was a real bear to deal with.

Once i got the back end done i took it out for a short spin down the street to keep the battery charged and just as i started backing into the garage i learned two things...one the truck doesnt fit in the garage that way and two my gas gauge was working, it was bone dry! So of course the truck flamed out in the driveway and the filler neck was in line with the damn garage making it impossible to fill. With a little beer bong rigging i got a sniff of gas in to pull it forward and fill the tank up more.

Got the rest of the herculiner in and drilled some seat mount holes.

I just recently picked up this roll bar from a friend for two cases of sierra nevada!! Ill be installing the roll bar probably this weekend as im still gathering some material to sleeve it and adapt it to the truck.

Ive also been getting this ready for the dreaded smog. Apparently someone epoxied this air filter in the air box. It made my air box top stick up in the air at least 4 inches and i don't believe it was original so i heated it up with a a torch and finally broke it loose.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts