Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
As this is my first official post of any worth I thought I would give a little background to myself first.
My name is Matthew (Matt).
I grew up in Northern California riding in or on anything with wheels.
Got the itch for Toyota trucks along the way watching these small (compared with square body chevys and highboy fords) trucks climb their way thru the hills and trails.
So now being older and having some spare cash I decided I wanted to get my own rig finally. Bought this decent example of a stock ‘85 xtra cab 4x4 , well it had sat for 15 years when I bought it , but hoping the plucky 22re was strong enough to last at least one season of wheeling I tried all I could but a rusted out bottom end proved too much.
Now I needed a engine, talking with my co-worker who has done several 1uz swaps into Supras,cressida,and a mini truck , well I was convinced , and then I found the cheapest sc400 I could.
800 dollars later I got my hands on a high mile good running example.
After a drive home without a single issue drivetrain wise I pulled it and gave away the shell minus all the things I felt I needed wiring wise.
Now I originally was going to just do a R150 with adapters for the 1uz and to the rf1a gear driven case, but the more I thought about it the more I wanted to BAR the swap as I am in CA. Thus I discovered I could use the stock a341e if I get a tailhousing / output shaft from a a340f, so I bought a second a340f and began tearing it down, finding it fairly straight forward I committed to tearing the 1uz trans apart. Thank goodness I got it right and everything went back together cleanly, now this is roughly where I am at now I had the engine/trans mounted at a wonderful spot , but had to pull it to do the tear down. I have 2 topshift rf1a tcases, 1 Marlin Crawler 23spline input gear installed already, and a Marlin Crawler v6 adapter. I drilled and tapped the missing bolt hole in the a341 case, and everything seems like it will work. Have yet to remount the trans or wire the engine up yet. Waiting on funds to buy dual case adapter and another 23 spline input.
-Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Oil pan needs some clearance.... well I need a lift anyways.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Trail Gear 4” lift should solve the clearance problem.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I believe this should be enough lift with 6” shackles.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Now I have clearance in the trans tunnel and along the firewall and all the angles are satisfactory I can lock em in.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Not happy with the stock spring hanger I bought one and welded it in.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

With so much clearance I decided, I will indeed make the auto work just to keep the engine/trans communicate properly.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

A340f 4wd shows the difference a bit more return drainage and a few different bolt holes. Had to add the lower middle bolt hole to bolt the tailhousing on to the 1uz trans.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Picked up a couple transfer cases one nicely resealed with 12 bolt flanges.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top