Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
You plan on registering this on the street? Check smog laws in your county for putting a car motor into a truck. Great start on a cool build.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You plan on registering this on the street. Check smog laws in your county for putting a car motor into a truck. Great start on a cool build.

I have already done BAR swaps before, in CA the restrictions are on truck engines into cars not the other way, as well in CA cars have stricter emissions than trucks, any newer model engine from a car or truck will work with all factory ecu settings and all smog/emissions equipment installed (any brand engine that was ca approved when new). The regulations are slightly loose anyways, I swapped a 94 engine into my 92 bmw and all they cared about was displacement and the year that the ECU was. Once he knew it was a 94 ecu he tested it as if it was a 94 car. Standard obd1 roller emissions test and gas cap /evaporate can check, fifteen minutes and I had a BAR sticker on my shock tower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Ok, but I think if it was as easy as that everyone would be swapping that motor instead of the 3.4. I have an 85 4runner that could use the extra power of a v8 for sure.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I copied this from Am 4x4 ' s thread last year. Sorry.
As of May of last year the engine change guidelines changed and the new motor now has to be from the SAME class of vehicle. This means you can no longer put a car motor in a truck so there is no way to do a smog legal 1UZ swap..and per my local smog ref who even checked with Sacramento to confirm, they consider a 4 runner to be a truck. If you want a smog legal UZ it will need to be a 2UZ.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I copied this from Am 4x4 ' s thread last year. Sorry.
As of May of last year the engine change guidelines changed and the new motor now has to be from the SAME class of vehicle. This means you can no longer put a car motor in a truck so there is no way to do a smog legal 1UZ swap..and per my local smog ref who even checked with Sacramento to confirm, they consider a 4 runner to be a truck. If you want a smog legal UZ it will need to be a 2UZ.

I will be sure to double check with my BAR rep but last I spoke to him he said it was kosher as I had it planned. But in this state I don’t doubt any changes...just try and verify is all...Now if anything the county the rig is reg’d in is no smog anyways, I just want to add value/legality to the build.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I have already done BAR swaps before, in CA the restrictions are on truck engines into cars not the other way, as well in CA cars have stricter emissions than trucks, any newer model engine from a car or truck will work with all factory ecu settings and all smog/emissions equipment installed (any brand engine that was ca approved when new). The regulations are slightly loose anyways, I swapped a 94 engine into my 92 bmw and all they cared about was displacement and the year that the ECU was. Once he knew it was a 94 ecu he tested it as if it was a 94 car. Standard obd1 roller emissions test and gas cap /evaporate can check, fifteen minutes and I had a BAR sticker on my shock tower.

Fwiw
Have you met(or followed screwsome)????
Fixin to bar my 83 \85 22re first gen.
Fangers crossed we win!

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I will be sure to double check with my BAR rep but last I spoke to him he said it was kosher as I had it planned. But in this state I don’t doubt any changes...just try and verify is all...Now if anything the county the rig is reg’d in is no smog anyways, I just want to add value/legality to the build.

Goodluck with the communist approval.

What's the axle and suspension plan?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Goodluck with the communist approval.

What's the axle and suspension plan?

Axles will be stock housings, 5.29s with a arb in the rear and Detroit in the front is current plan. Rear leaf setup is currently in the air, i do not think I will get enough lift out of 63s to level out my ride height. I do not want to use any lift blocks as I have seen what happens.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Fwiw
Have you met(or followed screwsome)????
Fixin to bar my 83 \85 22re first gen.
Fangers crossed we win!

No I do not follow screwsome.
Yeah this state is about to run me out with it’s laws and regulations.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Axles will be stock housings, 5.29s with a arb in the rear and Detroit in the front is current plan. Rear leaf setup is currently in the air, i do not think I will get enough lift out of 63s to level out my ride height. I do not want to use any lift blocks as I have seen what happens.

What's so bad about blocks? I ran em for years without issue

·
Registered
780 Posts

I ran 3” lifted 63s matched very well with 44044e waggy springs with a 6” shackle (about 4” lift springs) very nice with the overloads still on them, they flex well. In the process of a 1uz swap as well keep up the good work. I might fire up a build thread soon as well, think I’ll wait til the change over happens.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I ran 3” lifted 63s matched very well with 44044e waggy springs with a 6” shackle (about 4” lift springs) very nice with the overloads still on them, they flex well. In the process of a 1uz swap as well keep up the good work. I might fire up a build thread soon as well, think I’ll wait til the change over happens.

3” lifted on blocks or a all leaf lift? I have been showering the inter webs but have not found any myself. Do you happen to have a part number for them?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
3” lifted on blocks or a all leaf lift? I have been showering the inter webs but have not found any myself. Do you happen to have a part number for them?

They are all over the internet. You might try searching for 64 inch leafs. The correct length. :homer:

·
Registered
780 Posts

No blocks I used tuff country EZ-Ride part# 19390

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So I should probably update this thread, got the numbers all ran and ordered a set of trail gear 5” lift springs for the rear and decided to French in my hangers because the new leafs are 5” longer in the front section. And a bit longer in the rear section as well. Also did U-bolt flip kit while it is apart.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I also sealed up the trans and re mounted it with the tail housing, needed to clearance the floor pan a bit. Received my Marlin Crawler MC 31 and 23 spline input gears for both crawl boxes, as well as ordered my dual case adapter this week.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts