Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this truck about 2 weeks ago over Christmas and I’ve been working on it since.

Its and 85 Xtracab with a running 22re but the chassis was pretty much smoked. The frame had been patched and the patches were rotted through. So I had friend with a 89 standard cab chassis so I decided to SAS that chassis and swap my cab/ drivetrain.

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A crappy shot of the frame but it was rusted pretty bad. Its now all cut up and sitting in a large scrap pile in my driveway to go to the scrapyard at the end of the build

This is the donor chassis a 89 standard cab

I cut off all the IFS crap in the driveway so the slag wouldnt kill the concrete then primed the bare metal

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far a suspension goes im running a set of rears that i made up of my 85 xtracab and a set of 87 xtra cab leafs. I havent decided what to run in the rear yet but i will probably add or change a couple leaves and im playing around with the idea of a buggy leaf.

These are the dimensions of the front leaf pack

Front Springs specs

Main - 85 Xtracab Truck Rear Main leaf 47 1/2" uncut
2nd - 85 Xtracab Rear Second leaf 47 1/2" uncut
3rd - 87 Xtracab Truck Rear Main leaf cut to 40"
4th - 87 Xtracab Truck Rear Second leaf cut to 34"
5th - 85 Xtracab Truck Rear Third cut to 24"
6th - 87 Xtracab Truck Rear Third cut to 15"

and how they look on the chassis

·
Registered
219 Posts
sweeet Vin.... shackle angle is looking ok considering there is no weight on the springs yet

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i actually had set the drivtrain on it then had a few people stand on it for the wieght of the cab and it looked like it should be good. but i think the back is definatly going to need some help

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got somemore work done lastnite.

I instaled a 2 inch reciver into the front of the truck

torched unnessisary brackets of soild axle

got my high steer from trailgear

And an IFS box courtesy of Catch2nd - thanks dustin

And I picked up a set of 33-12.5 BFG All Terrains. I no not the best offroading tire but i got them w/ less than 1000 miles for 200 bucks on some jeep wheels so i thoght it would get the truck rolling for now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More progress on the truck.

I got the Cab on thanks to 4 of my buddies. and i welded in the new rear body mount. and it seems like im going to have about 4 and a half feet for a bed.

Then i threw a tire in front just for kicks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
looks tall, is there an motor and trannie in it
no trans, but the motor is being held up by some blocks on the springs which isnt allowing them to drop. I also ran a 3inch body lift because i didnt want to have to cut a huge hole in the cab to mount the gastank in the factory location.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good looking build. I have a 88 ext cab on a standard cab frame. Mine has a 3" body lift as well. It's nice when working on stuff, lots of clearance, but the truck is way high. I have the suspension as low as I can go with the high steer (oil pan is clearanced and now the frame is limiting up travel), and I still feel too high for the 36" IROKs I'm running. Unless you're planning on going with 38's, I'd look at relocating the tank or getting a fuel cell.

·
Registered
947 Posts
no trans, but the motor is being held up by some blocks on the springs which isnt allowing them to drop. I also ran a 3inch body lift because i didnt want to have to cut a huge hole in the cab to mount the gastank in the factory location.
I have a 90 ex cab on a 85reg frame, i ran a three inch body lift just so i didnt have to cut the body to get it to sit stock, but after putting the tires on it it looked way to high, so i spent the time to get the body lower. you should deff relocate the tank so you can lower, the lower the better, but just my 2 cents

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update....

Pictures are foggy but I didnt want to open the garage door and let any heat out. I stripped the stock 89 rears off. Then I used the main leaf for my buggy leaf and I used a 4 leaf pack from a friend.

The buggy leaf still needs adjustment for shackle angle but I didnt have my ubolts to attach and adjust them yet

Full ride height with the 28s in the rear

Then a picture I took later with the 33s but the garage was packed when I took it

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I got more time to work on the truck and its comming along...

I made up a steering box mount

Finished the rear suspension

A little test flex

and the motor is almost ready to fire again...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts