Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
In. Kind of what I have in mind for my sons first build. Thinking of finding one in semi decent shape for his 15th birthday.
That would be an awesome project. I learned a lot on my 95 I had in high school. Always wanted to do this exact project with it.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
That’s really why I have not done anything on the front. I cleaned up the frame and started to measure how I was going to keep it low. I came to the same conclusion that I am going to make new frame rails.

I’m thinking of going up the bottom of the motor mounts.
I had mine cut that way, then ended up going further back since stock motor mounts suck anyway, I lifted the motor about an inch also, which helped with clearance.

Fwiw, the frame is 2" ID right in front of the Vin.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I had mine cut that way, then ended up going further back since stock motor mounts suck anyway, I lifted the motor about an inch also, which helped with clearance.

Fwiw, the frame is 2" ID right in front of the Vin.
Sorry I guess I should have said that. I am going to cut It at the vin and go make the frame the height of the current motor mounts. But you make a great point, I’m going with a tube front clip and just skinning fenders on so i’ll probably raise the motor 1”. That will help with trying to get close to a flat belly

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What is the general consensus on front frame material. I was thinking 11ga 2x3. But is that enough? Should I step it up to .188?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Nice progress. My question is, are you protecting your floor for cutting and welding? I just built a shop and epoxied the floor (my finishers didn't do the best job on the slab and the epoxy was free) and Ive been doing all my welding and cutting under the leanto, but i know theres gonna come the day when I need to do it inside lol.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That's a good point. I have some .250 wall 2x3 for another project but it might be getting repurposed to this frame.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nice progress. My question is, are you protecting your floor for cutting and welding? I just built a shop and epoxied the floor (my finishers didn't do the best job on the slab and the epoxy was free) and Ive been doing all my welding and cutting under the leanto, but i know theres gonna come the day when I need to do it inside lol.
No I have not been protecting it yet. I was thinking about that the other day and really should have a welding blanket for some stuff but I have not noticed any issues yet.

·
Registered
226 Posts
No I have not been protecting it yet. I was thinking about that the other day and really should have a welding blanket for some stuff but I have not noticed any issues yet.
That's good to know. Ill be protecting mine with something. At least at first lol.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well the saw came out last night. Passenger frame is mocked up but needs to come down about 2.5-3" still. Then measure and cut out some fish plates.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Instead of coming straight out from the existing frame, you should add a small "kicker", going up, and then a piece that goes straight forward. Like an elongated Z. Like this \_. Something that follows the shape of the factory solid axle trucks a little more closely.

I know someone has a pic of what I'm describing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Instead of coming straight out from the existing frame, you should add a small "kicker", going up, and then a piece that goes straight forward. Like an elongated Z. Like this \_. Something that follows the shape of the factory solid axle trucks a little more closely.

I know someone has a pic of what I'm describing.
I'm following you. I need to cut a few inches off so I will modify it to come out of the frame first.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Modified the new frame rails and cut of the passenger side frame off. There is a vertical piece in the frame so, need to either cut that out or add in a filler piece to the 2x3 that goes in the frame.

New frame rails are tacked together and the spring hanger tacked on at 2" forward and about 2.5" up. This is the same as being mounted in front of the factory frame rather than below.

I need to get some springs mounted to see how the front looks. May move the mount back an inch or so.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks. Way happier with new front rails over fighting with the factory frame
What did you use for square tube? 2x3x.188? Tossing around the same idea on my 86 4runner vs grinding all those ifs brackets and fighting clearance.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Good work. When I did a different build, but same thing I decided to cut the frame off and replace it. It was so much better after that much cleaner and simpler.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Good work. When I did a different build, but same thing I decided to cut the frame off and replace it. It was so much better after that much cleaner and simpler.
I should have just started with cutting the frame. Cutting all the IFS out was not fun. Than the frame rails are just in the way for everything

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I should have just started with cutting the frame. Cutting all the IFS out was not fun. Than the frame rails are just in the way for everything
I learned that with my first Toyota in 2006. Now I only fuck with clean 2wds to convert. No frame fuckery needed.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts