Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Maybe from the cab back, but the cab forward is different. I have looked at putting a solid axle under the front of my 2wd. The only way I figured to do it and for it to look right is to trade the front of the frame out for 4wd. I'm gonna try to find a good 4wd frame and swap it all over, but it might be easier to just find the a good front section.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
The conversion has been done, and I'm told it is not bad. Apparently the frames are fairly close to the same. You should be able to search out some posts (here or CK5, dont remember which) where this was discussed. Worst case, IMO, is unbolt the 2WD front cradle, fab a 4WD type cross member (needed anyway for cross-over), mount front spring mounts (donor or simple fab), and rear shackle hangers (plus here is you can locate them better than the factory did). No problem at all, and much simpler than all the poor saps who have to change IFS 4WD to SFA!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
The problem is it is not just a cradle that you could unbolt. The front suspension was built into the frame all screwed up. The coils actually sit through the frame, not outboard or under. You could cut and trim, fab up new cross members and then it would look rigged because of the frame coil pockets. It would be easier to replace the forward frame completely.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Oops! Missed the year, I'm talking earlier style frame which did have the drop out cradle. Guess that means it is more like a full IFS to SFA conversion. Never looked at those frame. Sorry for the noise...

·
Registered
35 Posts
It is doable, you will need a 4wd frame to get all the parts off of though, so just using a parts frame would be better. The frames are the same just the crossmember and the 4WD spring mounts are the difference but the holes are there if you feel like taking the all rivits out or for the ones that have bolts taking a bunch of rusty bolts out.

I wouldn't think it would be worth the amount of time it would take.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm just wondering, if I were to use front leafs and a D60 from an earlier PU can I more or less just weld/bolt the hangers on and call it done?

Yeah, I know, I'll search. :)

[email protected]

·
Registered
35 Posts
88 and newer are totally different trucks, unless you have a 88-91 3/4, 1-ton, or suburban. I wouldn't think there would be any holes or any that is just going to bolt up. They do have the straight axle conversions for those trucks but I am not sure what all is involved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts