Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I bought an '87 HJ-60 cruiser. I have sence driven it up to Rob Lassman in Nanaimo, on Vancouver Island for a full restoration. She already had an AXT turbo, but Im adding an intercooler to it. Here are the stats:

1987 Toyota HJ-60 Landcruiser
4.0 liter diesel with an AXT turbo charger
H-55 five speed tranny
standard t-case
Old Man Emu full suspension with spring over conversion
Front end: 5.29 gears w/ARB's, four runner vented disks w/ four piston calipers, trussed w/ high steer and hydrolic assist
Rear end: 5.29 gears w/ARB's, four runner vented disks w/ four piston calipers, trussed, full floater
ARB front bumper with 24 volt M10000 pound winch and IPF lights
Kaymar rear bumper tire carrier gas carrier
4x4 connection side bars
Hannibal roof rack, tent and awning
ARB snorkle
17x9 trail ready bead locked rims with 37" goodyear MTR's
Cobra CB
Extremeaire compressor
Alpine stereo

Ill get pics soon.

TB

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
huh... drooollll...... pics please ... no really i got see that i'm die'in over here waitin :D

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
that sounds like it will make an incredible rig... hurry up on the pics!!!

ps- might want to trim your sig ;)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I did trim it. I'll get the pics as soon as I can. I got around 28mpg on the drive home after picking her up too!

After the full rebuild I should get even better.

That AXT trubo puts you back in the seat when she kicks in!

I plan on towing my 2.4 liter (2L) AXT trubo diesel LWB suzuki samurai on a feather lite aluminum trailer with her.

Here is the samurai.

TB

·
Registered
673 Posts
That sounds like my dream 60. I must see pics soon, sounds like a killer rig.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Your description comes as close to my dream truck as I've ever seen, few things I'd do different but I can't *wait* to see some pics of that thing!

FWIW, reconsider those sidebars, they are NOT very well-designed and will have to be significantly reinforced just to be adequate over big rocks.

I'm also curious, will that truck be highway-driveable with the hydraulic steering, or is this going to be mostly a trail truck? I notice you also chose to go with beadlocks, so I'm assuming option B. Still, I'm interested!

I'd also love to see some detailed shots of your rear disk brake conversion using Toyota parts, I see it's a FF but I'm still curious about it. What do you plan to use for an e-brake?

Sounds like a killer truck, I've always wanted to do a complete 60 series project in a short period of time, sometimes this "trickle-down buildup" gets a little tiresome (11+ years going, no end in sight...)! :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply. The steering is only hydro assist. The disks all around are four runner 4 piston calipers with vented disks. The ebrake is off the t-case. As far as the side bars are considered, the are (I appologze) for show mostly anyway. That truck wont be wheeled hard core at all!!!! That's what the samurai is for. I'll take her on lite trails maybe, and logging roads, and winter crusin, but not hard stuff. I simply like having a capable rig in case. I'll be driving her up to alaska the summer of '04.

I LOVE bead locks and big tires, so that's why I went that route. I wanted her a little low geared for the towing bit too.

Here is what whe'll look like. This ISNT my rig, but is very close to her, except for the WAY TO SMALL TIRES!!!

TB
:D

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
thats 60seriesguy's fj62 from south america too cool rig also both of your rigs make my stock 60 look sad...:( send pics of your asap... ;)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Jeez, there used to be a time when 35's used to be big tires...sigh! :flipoff2:

<LOL>
Took me about ten seconds to start laughing...

That is *MY* rig, by the way, that's why I know that the sidebars suck, mine have about 15' feet of extra tubing reinforcing them and they're still tweaked.

So hydraulic-assist has no ill-effects on regular street-and-highway driving? Is it street-legal? I've considered moving up to 37's (if they fit after the suspension adjustment and after I can afford to regear) and have wondered how the stock steering will handle them.

Good luck with the beadlocks on the highway!

One more thing: I actually mounted a rooftop tent on my Cruiser, at least from Moab, where it was delivered to Phoenix, where I was living at the time. By the time we got to AZ, I had abandoned the plan to mount the tent permanently, they are HEAVY and the COG of a SO + OME is not exactly stellar. To each his own, but I would suggest trying it out before you commit, that'a a lot of weight on a VERY TALL rig!

Don't forget pictures, I'm droolin' already! :)

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Questions

Did you get that from Canada? I used to live in Seattle and had been thinking of importing a Diesel cruiser for years, but could find anything about restrictions on smogging it. I was looking at a BJ-70, or a HJ-60. I see you have a Deisel PU as well. WQhere did you find that gem. I used to have a Petrol PU the same year and wanted to get a Deisel in it but never found one for sale. The rigs sound sweet! Oh yah, is that HJ 24v or 12v?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well my respects to you. I tried to make sure I let every one know that the pic wasnt my rig! I used that pic because your rig is beautiful! The hydro is an assist to the STEERING box! No effect felt at all on the freeway. You cant use hydro ONLY and drive on the road. There is no FEEL to the steering. I've added 1.5" wheel spacers all around to get a wider stance because she is tall. Here are the bead locks: I got the aluminum wheels and had the lockign ring powder coated white to match the paint.

http://www.trailready.com/bead_lock_wheels.htm

Here is the rack and roof top tent.

http://www.hannibalusa.com/index.htm

It's a very high quality job that's for sure. The tent easily comes off.

The 37" tires on a 17" rim are great. Not to much side wall. The 5.29 gears work well with those tires.

Thanks. I could use any ideas advice you have. Mr. FJ experience, that's you!

TB

·
Registered
556 Posts
<Did you get that from Canada? I used to live in Seattle and had been thinking of importing a Diesel cruiser for years, but could find anything about restrictions on smogging it. I was looking at a BJ-70, or a HJ-60>

Diesels are smog exempt in CA...It's the customs part thats tricky...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought it from a guy that went in to Alberta and got it. Then he imported it with the help of that dealership into Montana. He said it was TURBO difficult! Infact he wasnt sure that it was totally legal!

I have a Washington title NOW and plates that say HJ-60, so I am in good shape!

TB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts