Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Took the van for a nice trip up to the top of Greens Peak today! Only about 35-40 minutes from the house... Right around 10,110 feet in elevation. Nice little storm was brewing when we hit the top, and it just poured all the way down the mountain and all the way home.
This set up is working REALLY well. Tested the GPS all the way through our drive, and it performed flawlessly! It's a semi remote area, and the offline maps never skipped a beat for both the Maps.me app and Backcountry navigator. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Great build man!

Gonna sub it.

That long front bumper looks like a good place to put a winch if needed.
Or cut it down for more approach angle?

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Years ago a guy sent me a couple of videos of some guys from somewhere outside the states flogging those little vans in mud and rocks.
Yours came out great I hope it gives you many years of fun!
Tab A as a GPS is interesting since I happen to have a spare I would have to come up with a different mounting system. No holes drilled in Dash kind of thing.

·
Change is good.
35,182 Posts
Gonna need a turbo pretty soon.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Needs to take it to Turbo Yoda at Skid Factory in Australia just the trip would be epic after he has to take off the brakes and clutch and anything else that might have asbestos and then gets it certified clean
:flipoff2:

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Great build man!

Gonna sub it.

That long front bumper looks like a good place to put a winch if needed.
Or cut it down for more approach angle?
Theres a couple of ideas I had after measuring... a Ford Ranger believe it or not has close to the same dimensions on the front. Looked at a couple styles that could be hacked and made to fit the front of the van. Could sneak the control wiring behind the "Toyota" plate fairly easy.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Years ago a guy sent me a couple of videos of some guys from somewhere outside the states flogging those little vans in mud and rocks.
Yours came out great I hope it gives you many years of fun!
Tab A as a GPS is interesting since I happen to have a spare I would have to come up with a different mounting system. No holes drilled in Dash kind of thing.
They are hearty little things, I'll say that! A few of the things I pulled out to rebuild had me scratching my head. :laughing: There was really no way the alternator should have even worked with the PS fluid bath it had taken over the years... brushes soaked in oil and the diodes looked pretty crusty. Just kept chuggin along.:homer:

And yup, the Samsung gps has been impressive! I had my doubts also, but thought worst case it would be handy whilst traveling. Turned out to be a cool investment for just that. Bought a huge sd card for it and can store tons of map info on it for offline use, as well as music and movies downloaded for rainy day breaks. :D

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
:laughing:

This little 4Y is a BEAST! 105 Horses man. It's a doggie little thing on the hills, pretty much reminds me of the 4runner with the 22RE in it. 3rd gearing hills at 45-55 mph...

I have NO idea where one would even fit a turbo in this thing. A 3RZ option could be cool though, AND it would just bolt up to the current trans. :flipoff2:

·
Change is good.
35,182 Posts
:laughing:

This little 4Y is a BEAST! 105 Horses man. It's a doggie little thing on the hills, pretty much reminds me of the 4runner with the 22RE in it. 3rd gearing hills at 45-55 mph...

I have NO idea where one would even fit a turbo in this thing. A 3RZ option could be cool though, AND it would just bolt up to the current trans. :flipoff2:
And you can get a supercharger for a 3RZ.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
And yup, the Samsung gps has been impressive! I had my doubts also, but thought worst case it would be handy whilst traveling. Turned out to be a cool investment for just that. Bought a huge sd card for it and can store tons of map info on it for offline use, as well as music and movies downloaded for rainy day breaks. :D
Ended up with a spare, I broke the screen and replaced when I was at my Aunt's in Phoenix, when I got home it wouldn't connect to the internet so I thought I had screwed up the replacement, then found out it was my router! Duh so now I have a spare How big of an SD card did you use

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Ended up with a spare, I broke the screen and replaced when I was at my Aunt's in Phoenix, when I got home it wouldn't connect to the internet so I thought I had screwed up the replacement, then found out it was my router! Duh so now I have a spare How big of an SD card did you use
I used a San Disk 128GB card I got from Amazon. PLENTY of space for everything. I think the maps all totaled were only like 3 GB's. :laughing:

However, with all the Netflix/ Amazon movies I downloaded to watch whilst out and about camping theres STILL tons of room left. It's like 3-4gb's per download.

Also added a ton of music to it... about 5gb worth. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
So I spent this evening modifying the cooling system to a degree (pun intended). Like mentioned before, the cooling system on these vans seem to be the weak spot. When I initially went through the engine bay I noticed a few things about the system that seemed to be stumbling blocks for it. This was contrary to what maintenance I did. New h2o pump, rad. flush, new fan clutch, Toyota t-stat and the typical crap you do with a 30+ year old vehicle.

First, the radiator really isn't in the best position for air flow. It's in front of the engine, with a short window of air that feeds in from the bottom f the van through about a 4 or 5" gap between the cab. While your rolling slow (35 or under), the fan probably pulls in an adequate amount of air to keep the radiator cooled. However when you pick up some speed I think the bulk of air just gets swept under the rig. I have noticed the temp creep just slightly at higher speeds.

Second, the engine bay is basically just a steel box and just cooks when you run it hard and shut the engine off. It immediately cools down once you fire it up and the fan clutch is engaged but it always stumbles a bit due to some heat soak on the fuel rails.

Third, when you run the A/C the temp starts to creep a bit also. Everything mentioned is fairly normal, but I was really looking just to supplement the cooling system at higher speeds with a direct air vented radiator (heater core actually) right in the front.

Enter the small heater core addition to help the cooling process. The design of the van see's the heater core lines fall right through the passenger side at the front of the van. Lines up great for the addition of a separate heater core to be air cooled directly behind the grill! So one side gets teed in from the return side, and the other from the inlet side before the heater control valve.

This addition worked like a champ! Dropped the temp from around half way up to about a third up the gauge. :grinpimp: AND when the temps are hotter with the A/C blasting it runs at a cool halfway mark, where before it climbed a bit more than I was comfortable with. WooT! May not look like much, but it made a 15 degree difference from 190 to 175*. It's the little things. :flipoff2:

Planning another outing sometime next weekend~ Should be good. Found a herd of elk in the hundreds! Bit of a haul to get out her but should be worth the star gazing and elk watching. :)

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
First time you hit a snow bank and that is hot should be epic! :D
Elk watching is that the same as scouting? :D

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I watched 4x4 Toyota van videos last night and searching classifieds with zero luck :(
Toyotavantech.com

They have a for sale section, but I think you have to join there to see it. :flipoff2:

Mostly left coast hippies, but they have some ok tech for these things. The site owner/ admin Tim is a bit of top notch van mechanic. I was already banned and given demerits for being "snarky". :homer: Though I was allowed back in, I don't post any tech there anymore... I'd rather just post my own thing over here.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
:laughing: Drinkin the koolaid?

Toyotavantech.com

They have a for sale section, but I think you have to join it to see it.
They are spendy....like VW vanagon spendy!

There is a Lite Ace GXL on eBay now for 15G. Hate to bust up those roof windows! :eek:

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
They are spendy....like VW vanagon spendy!

There is a Lite Ace GXL on eBay now for 15G. Hate to bust up those roof windows! :eek:

Uhm, no. I paid 9 hundo for this one (guy didn't know what he had, and I had no idea what I was getting).... Your looking at the right hand drive imports. For whatever reason, those things get a crazy premium. Look for the first gen van's between 86-89. They came in the 4x4 variety. Many can be had for 2-3k depending on condition and what it would take to make them right. And if they are in great shape maybe 7-10k for one. Granted they can be hard to find in some areas.

I wouldn't have ever plopped down money like that for one. :laughing:

41 - 60 of 99 Posts