Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
basically i am building a 1ton yj and just got a 4.6 stroker out of a 93 wrangler. i am running the 93 yj harness and mpfi. and need to know if anything changes, ive searched with little luck, i seem to have power everywhere but the ign switch. so it will not crank over. and due to not having a fi fuel tank i picked up a e2000 inline fuel pump and plan on running that. does any one know what wires are the fuel pump?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
does anyone know if you have to change the wiring harness under the dash to use the fi engine harness?

·
Registered
753 Posts
There's alot of differences between a '93 and '89 wiring harnesses. It' makes it easy if you swap all of the '93 wiring and dash guages in. If you have both factory wiring diagrams, you can move the connectors around in the bulkhead connector to get them to mate correctly with the '93 engine harness. Go by the wiring colors, along with the position in the connector, as there was a recall on '93 YJ's to move the starter wire in the connector away from a B+ wire, which helped prevent the jeep from cranking over by itself itself in wet conditions!

The wire back to the tank on a YJ goes through the bulkhead connector, along with the rear tail light wires and is Dark Green, IIRC. The wire should still be in the '89 rear wiring harness all the way to the stock sending unit connection, as the '89 4 cylinder models had EFI with the pump in the tank.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sweet finally alittle help, yea ive been looking at the pin outs and need to go though that, as for the fuel pump, i think i have the wires to that now, there in the 93 harness, there are 3 wire that are next to the vss i think,
the swap came out of a running yj so i figured to would be a straight swap.. nope i was wrong.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yea i got the matching under dash harness.. i just spent 2 hours swapping it, only a few pugs matched, and the gagues dont swap over, and still no crank, only thing that really works is the head lights, you can hear the injectors and that it, same as the oem harness, i think i will swap back and just find a way to swap the pins, the under that dash harness was a waste of time,
and i still need to find a way to match the plugs that come though the fire wall right in the middle,
looks like this.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its all the matching set up, so it already has the cps, and i think its on the bellhousing, cause the motor and trans are matching 1994.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The through the firewall plug is for the later guages and HVAC system, IIRC. If you have the later parts, it all snaps together.

The later speedometer is all digital, and the tach in the later models uses a 4 cylinder input, the '89 speedo is mechanical, and the tach uses a 6 cylinder signal, so the ouput signal from the later PCM will cause the old style tach to read 2/3rd actual rpm.

If the two harnesses you are using are from different '91, '92 or '93 YJ's, the TSB/recall may have been done on one harness and not the other. If both harnesses are from the same Jeep, then this problem is unlikely to be the cause. A careful study of the harness colors as they go through the bulkhead will verify they are connected properly.

Here's the text of the #572 and #573 recall:
Subject: Safety Recall #572 / Customer Satisfaction Notification #573 Bulkhead Wiring Connector
Models:
Safety Recall #572 -- 1991 through 1993 Model Year Jeep Wrangler (YJ) Vehicles Equipped with a Manual Transmission Built Before February 23, 1993.

Customer Satisfaction Notification #573 -- 1991 through 1993 Model Year Jeep Wrangler (YJ) Vehicles Equipped with an Automatic Transmission Built Before February 23, 1993.

Salt tracking between the starter solenoid wire and the adjacent battery feed wire in the bulkhead connector may bypass the key control of the starter motor solenoid circuit and cause the starter to engage without ignition key initiation. This may cause vehicles equipped with a manual transmission and parked in gear to move without warning due to engine cranking. To correct the condition, the starter solenoid wiring must be relocated within the bulkhead connector.

Service Procedure
With the ignition key in the OFF position, disconnect the negative battery cable.
Disconnect the engine compartment bulkhead connector.
Separate the larger section of the bulkhead wiring connector from the connector.
Remove the blue wedge.
FOR 1991 - 1992 MY VEHICLES: Remove the green wire from cavity G5 and install it in cavity A6 (Figure 1).
FOR 1993 MY VEHICLES WITHOUT ABS: Remove the yellow wire from cavity G5 and install it in cavity A6 (Figure 1).

FOR 1993 MY VEHICLES WITH ABS: Remove the yellow wire from cavity G5 and install it in cavity A6. Remove the existing white/tan wire from cavity A6 and install it in cavity G5 (Figure 1).

Reinstall the blue wedge.
Reunite the two sections of the bulkhead connector.
Remove the two fuse block/instrument panel bulkhead connector attaching screws.
Separate the fuse block from the bulkhead connector.
Separate the larger section of the bulkhead wiring connector from the connector.
Remove the blue wedge.
FOR 1991 - 1992 MY VEHICLES: Remove the green wire from cavity G5 and install it in cavity A6 (Figure 2).
FOR 1993 MY VEHICLES: Remove the yellow wire from cavity G5 and install it in cavity A6. Remove the existing white/tan wire from cavity A6 and install it in cavity G5 (Figure 2).

Reinstall the blue wedge.
Reunite the two sections of the bulkhead connector.
Reattach the fuse block to the bulkhead connector.
Install the fuse block/instrument panel bulkhead connector with the two attaching screws.
Reconnect the engine compartment bulkhead connector.
Connect the battery negative cable.

If you can get the engine to turn over by jumping the relay connections in the PDC relay center, then there is the possibility that the relay is not grounded. If you are using a transmission harness that was originally from an automatic, there is a neutral safety wire to the Neutral safety/reverse switch that needs to have a ground for the starter relay to work. This wire is the one in the middle of the switch connector, the two outer wires are for the reverse lights. If your harness is from a YJ with a manual transmission, one of the small ground wires to the stud that holds the dipstick to the block is the ground for the starter relay, IIRC.

You can verify that the relay in the PDC is getting ground to one of the side terminals, (#85, or #86) and the other side is getting the start signal from the key switch when it's in the start position.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks, after christmas stuff i plan on putting the oem 89 under dash harness in, and then check the pins, the engine harness i am using is 94 manual

i have the 94 under dash harness in right now, and really only a few plugs match, i dont have the taillight harness so i am just going back to the oem harness and go from there ill let you know what i find out, i have another guy who did the same swap and all he did was 95 yj to a 90 yj added 1 wire to engine start {g5 in bulkhead connector} to brown wire on relay side in pdc. fired right up! might try that, and i will try your pin out

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ok so i put the oem 89 dash harness back in and then added one wite to the bulk head (g5 to brown wire in the fuse box) it cranks over now.

now on to the fuel pump and lines.

are these 3 wires for the fuel pump??
i think the other plug is the vss

anyone know what line is return and what is feed, i need to plum in the e2000 pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts