Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have an 89 trooper ( 4 door)with about 300,000 on the odo. every single thing is on the dying, or dead list. the engine is the 2.8 liter, that appears to have no power whatsoever. it blows 1 quart of oil to drive 40 miles. and burns quite a bit. the transfercase was run dry, so the speedometer no longer works. the front suspension is getting worn badly. the rear axle seals are shot and leaking oil everywhere. heres what id like to know. there is a 1992 sitting at the local junkyard with 210K on the odometer. i plan on swapping both axles. and the engine/trans. will the engine and trans bolt up to the 89s mounts with out having to weld custom mounts? i know there is some electrical work involved in this. im not scared of that. the engine is spotless exept the valve cover gaskets seem to be seeping a little. the fan, radiators are crushed, frontal impact. the junkyard wants 750 for it.

this trooper has ceartainly been thru some hell. the dealership lied to me about it, then wouldnt take it back. the battery and the u-joints went out the day i bought it. it lost a wheel on the freeway. the oilpan has emptied itself out on the freeway. the engine has been on fire. it blows oil onto the hood, the starter has gone out, and been replaced, they are hard to push. the alternator has also quit in the two months ive owned it. i pressure washed the engine, and filled the crank case while it was running. the distributor is using a nail to get fire to cylinder number two. it constantly overheats, due to the fan and radiator being bent up. it has no oil pressure when idling hot. or running down the road, it tops out at about 60 mph. i think the trooper is supposed to go faster than that.

pictures of the beast:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/angrywolf/Picture71.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/angrywolf/Picture21.jpg

·
Registered
943 Posts
Let me get this straight. You just recently bought a 89 trooper with 300k on it from a lousy dealer and now two moths later it is falling apart. Is that about right?

First of all I really hope you didn't pay more than a couple hundred for it and these thing you have explianed don't happen over night and should have easily been spotted by you when you bought it, unless the dealer was a real criminal and some how hid all the problems.

Well enough of the parental guidence:D To answer your question, I think it would be a big undertaking to swap the parts off the 92 on to your 89. I never say it can't be done but for just a couple hunderd more you can buy another good running, good condition 1st gen and use your current one for parts.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i payed too much for it. the engine was still a little weak when i bought it. but it didnt start burning oil untill i did an oil change in the engine. im suspecting some sort of restorer was used. the oil leaks it had must have been cleaned up a bit, as there was some grime on it. but NOTHING like what it is now. i have only seen one other 1st gen where i live. they dont pop up often. that second gen sitting at the local junk yard is the first ive seen of them. i live in a town with about 15-20K morons.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.