Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need to know so i can find one quick.. what is the best upgrade for this?
thanks chris

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
I can only think of a Mazda 5 speed, but I don't know if that would bolt up. But you should just swap to a 302 with the 5 speed. I don't really think the 2.9 is any good. A 4.0 is much better through.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
As far as I know any tranny that came behind a 2.8, 2.9, or 4.0 Can all be interchangable. Advance adapters makes an adapter to put a T5 in as well. I forget what model is the strongest but i think it is the mazda one that is stated above not counting the T5

Matt

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I HAVE TO ASK, BECAUSE THIS IS MY FIRST FORD.... WHAT DOES THE T-5 COME OUT OF?.. AGAIN, SORRY I HAD TO ASK.

·
Registered
316 Posts
you have three choices:
mazda
toyo
mitsu

I have a mitsu behind my 4.0L and it is doing the job fine. if you are planing on doing a 302 swap do it now you will come out ahead. if you want to go 4.0L or like the 2.9L I would go with the mitsu or the mazda I think the mazda is an m50..something? it came in the newer mazdas.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AND IF I SHY AWAY FROM THE CONVERSION, DOES ANYONE HAVE A FACTORY AUTOMATIC LYING AROUND??.. MINE IS SLIPPING. THANKS

·
Registered
929 Posts
In my experience, the Toyo Kogyo holds up better than the Mazda, and the Mitsubuishi are junk.

I'll be pulling an A4ld in the next month, but it sounds like you're in a hurry. Might be helpful if you aren't in an extreme hurry.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NOT IN A REAL BIG HURRY,
THIS ONE JUST SLIPS A BIT WHEN ITS COLD. WHAT PRICE WILL YOU WANT?... THANKS ALOT.. CHRIS

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
The Mazda M5OD-R1 is the strongest of the manual trannys that came in the midsize Fords. A similar version (M5OD-R2) is used in F-150s, also (this one won't bolt up though.)
The Toyo-Koygo and especially the Mitsubishi FM 145/146 transmissions had a lot of input shaft bearing issues.
A M5OD-R1 from a 4.0L will bolt up to your 2.9L.

Look in any 4.0 Ranger or Explorer (non SOHC) for this trans.

The 2.9 is a good motor, the only real weakness is if the cooling system fails (stuck thermostat, etc) it can crack heads easy. This rarely happens at normal op temps.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
4x4junkie said:
The Mazda M5OD-R1 is the strongest of the manual trannys that came in the midsize Fords. A similar version (M5OD-R2) is used in F-150s, also (this one won't bolt up though.)
The Toyo-Koygo and especially the Mitsubishi FM 145/146 transmissions had a lot of input shaft bearing issues.
A M5OD-R1 from a 4.0L will bolt up to your 2.9L.

Look in any 4.0 Ranger or Explorer (non SOHC) for this trans.

The 2.9 is a good motor, the only real weakness is if the cooling system fails (stuck thermostat, etc) it can crack heads easy. This rarely happens at normal op temps.
You can use an early Xploder tranny(4.0L specific), but the first gear is not as Low as the 2.9L version, thus its stronger, but less aggresive.

Head failure is a problem on '86-'87 2.9L's, by '91 when they stoped using the engine in production, the head problem was mostly fixed. The 2.9 is an Excelent engine. If your worried about over heating, put in a 4.0L radiator (bolts in) and you wont have problems.

you can find ALOT more information at The Ranger Station and at RRORC

If you swap in a manual for the automatic, you will need a computer modual for a manual tranny (I have one for sale) and the 3 pedal assembly for the clutch, as well as the master cylender and hyraulic hoses for the clutch.
The T-5 tranny comes out of mustangs.

good luck:D

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Try a bottle a Lucas Transmission fix. I used it for about 15k when mine started slipping. Temporary fix though, but cheap.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If your worried about over heating, put in a 4.0L radiator (bolts in) and you wont have problems.
I swaped a 4.0L into my 86 BII and the 2.9L radiator does the job with no problems. I just used the upper hose for the 4.0L and the lower hose from the 2.9L. mine never goes over 190.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
you can put a T5 behind them but you have to get the adapters from Advanced Adaptors. Other wise you stuck with that tranny, you can also get an auto c5 out of an 84 bii but they were rare too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts