Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy had the dealer tell him $300 for a pump, and $500 to change it out with the t-belt, what have you guys been paying and any specific brand of water pump? kragens ect?
thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,366 Posts
Originally posted by SeaBass44:
<STRONG>My buddy had the dealer tell him $300 for a pump, and $500 to change it out with the t-belt, what have you guys been paying and any specific brand of water pump? kragens ect?
thanks</STRONG>
Yep, that's what it costs. As long as they do a good job it's a fair price. I always do the pump & T-stat with the belt on my V6.

Stick with the Toyota parts, they are the best.

If his toy is anything like mine spending $500 on it every couple of years is no big. It's waaaaaay less than a 1 months car payment these days!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Originally posted by SeaBass44:
<STRONG>My buddy had the dealer tell him $300 for a pump, and $500 to change it out with the t-belt, what have you guys been paying and any specific brand of water pump? kragens ect?
thanks</STRONG>
That $ for the pump sounds very high but it is a dealer quote huh! I've replaced my waterpump probably 4 times(every 50K or so) in it's life and I simply use a NAPA (for many reasons, mostly because it'll go out when your in the middle of nowhere but you can still find a NAPA) at any rate, it'll probably run around $70 or so from them, maybe less, it's been a couple of years now. The quote from the dealer sounds about right though for the timing/pump job becasue it's a really nasty job to do the H20 pump on these V6's. The timing belt must be loosened to remove the pump, so you might as well replace it while your in there with the whole front tore down as is. Be very careful with the timing of the dual overhead cams. Even the slightest movement of either of those cams and the thing won't time. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,239 Posts
I paid $150 installed a year ago at a local shop for my 89 3.0 V6
the timing belt had been done recently, so we didn't touch it. This guy was a friend, but still...$500?? <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0">

He did mess up the cam timing, but fixed it in less than an hour-for free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Originally posted by SeaBass44:
<STRONG>My buddy had the dealer tell him $300 for a pump, and $500 to change it out with the t-belt, what have you guys been paying and any specific brand of water pump? kragens ect?
thanks</STRONG>
<IMG SRC="smilies/idea.gif" border="0"> Just a thought but has your friend had the head gaskets redone? When Toyota went to replace my HG they did the water pump, timing belt and some other stuff. I would have to check out to find what exactly else they did. The best thing is they didn't charge me any labor. <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"> Pretty amazing for a stealership! And it was actually the tech who told me to make sure I have everything done while they are in there.
He's probably already done it but if not its worth a try. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Originally posted by Colorunner:
<STRONG>Be very careful with the timing of the dual overhead cams. Even the slightest movement of either of those cams and the thing won't time. Good luck.</STRONG>
The 3.0 V6 has a single overhead cam. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by toy4x4boy:
<STRONG>The 3.0 V6 has a single overhead cam. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
Well it has 2 cams <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> not a single cam <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0">, so you can call in "single overhead cams" BaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, yes he had the heads replaced along with the gaskets and t-belt 3 years ago. thanks everyone. I'll tell him to call NAPA, even though it's 25 miles from here in Chico <IMG SRC="smilies/frown.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Originally posted by SeaBass44:
[QB]Well it has 2 cams <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> not a single cam <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0">, so you can call in "single overhead cams" BaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,

I was about to comment on this but figured someone would get if first.
Seabass- there's actually a pretty decent writeup on the pump/timing belt install on offroad.com's toyota tech section if you want pics and such. It's not a hard job by any means, just a little time consuming removing everything to get to it and getting all the little stuff back on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Colorunner:
<STRONG>
Originally posted by SeaBass44:
[QB]Well it has 2 cams <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> not a single cam <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0">, so you can call in "single overhead cams" BaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,

I was about to comment on this but figured someone would get if first.
Seabass- there's actually a pretty decent writeup on the pump/timing belt install on offroad.com's toyota tech section if you want pics and such. It's not a hard job by any means, just a little time consuming removing everything to get to it and getting all the little stuff back on.</STRONG>
Thanks, I might do it for him, but he has over 350,000 miles on it and I work with him everyday, in a van though. So if anything goes wrong later, even not my fault, I just know I'll get blamed, so he can pay the dealer or do it hmself <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0"> I just knew a pump was out there for less then $300 <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Originally posted by SeaBass44:
<STRONG>Thanks, I might do it for him, but he has over 350,000 miles on it and I work with him everyday, in a van though. So if anything goes wrong later, even not my fault, I just know I'll get blamed, so he can pay the dealer or do it hmself <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0"> I just knew a pump was out there for less then $300 <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
If you've got a couple of hours to spare for the first time, I'd say go for it with a manual by your side for all the marks and specs and such. If he's gonna do the T-belt too, you may have to remove the radiator to get enough room to get an air impact on the lower crank nut to remove the crank pully to get to the bottom loop of the t-belt. If he's just gonna do the pump and leave the T-belt there, not such a big deal, but I know what you mean about someone else's truck. The first time I did mine, after 2-3 hours of work removing/replacing then to crank and find out the thing runs like crap and I've got to dive back in and tear everyting down and ajust a cam one tooth one way or the other. Major pain!! I've done that job so many times in the years past I could do it in my sleep now, but I still have nightmares of the first time <IMG SRC="smilies/smokin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Originally posted by SeaBass44:
<STRONG>Well it has 2 cams <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> not a single cam <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0">, so you can call in "single overhead cams" BaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, yes he had the heads replaced along with the gaskets and t-belt 3 years ago. thanks everyone. I'll tell him to call NAPA, even though it's 25 miles from here in Chico <IMG SRC="smilies/frown.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
<IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by toy4x4boy:
<STRONG> <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
<IMG SRC="smilies/laughing.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/laughing.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/laughing.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/clown.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/clown.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/clown.gif" border="0">
 

·
Wicked Raciest !
Joined
·
17,737 Posts
Originally posted by Chris Geiger:
<STRONG>It's a dual cam motor, here is a pic...



The full article I wrote is here...
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/v6tbelt/</STRONG>
It is still a SOC, one cam controls both the exhast and intake,one cam per head on a DOC one cam controls the exhast and one controls the intake, two cams per head..

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: OPP'S ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,385 Posts
3.0L is SOHC (2 cams, one per head) and 3.4L is DOHC (4 cams, 2 per head).

3.4L DOHC:


And the 3.4L timing belt is a SNAP to change. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top