Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I’m new to this site because I just picked up a clean 1990 pickup 22re 4x4 with 102k original miles.

My problem is it won’t go into 4WD at all and I’m not sure it even goes into N. I’m pretty ignorant to the whole 4x4 world but I know my truck has manual hubs that I made sure were engaged when trying to shift, not sure if that matters. I also think it doesn’t have the ADD because of the manual hubs? Not sure if that’s accurate but I’m assuming because the hubs are manual not automatic like the A stands for in ADD.

So far my plan is to take the boot off and open things up and see what things look like and probably post pictures on here to see if that helps.

Thanks this site looks awesome and I’m looking forward to using it for my future projects for my truck, power steering and AC unit. Are these relatively easy upgrades? I heard they are if I can get the parts from a donor truck, which might be easy in the Bay Area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
5 speed manual or automatic? Try shifting in to 4WD when moving forward slowly with the transmission in gear (manual). This will help align everything. A simple pull straight back on the transfer stick will take you from H2-->H4. To get the transfer case to neutral, you have to knock the stick io the right from H4. Unless your linkage is a buggered or the transfer case is toast, it is pretty straight forward. Lock your hubs before putting it in 4WD or you will just spin the axles in the hubs. If you have manual locking hubs, there is no ADD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5 speed manual yes. I tried to shift while moving forward slowly with both my clutch engaged and not engaged but to no prevail. Do I normally need to engage the clutch to switch in the 4H? I was assuming so but like I said, I'm ignorant. I was told maybe checking the fluid levels of the transfer case? I just bought some and plan on topping it off tomorrow and try again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts