Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im putting a dana 60 in the front of a 1991 and I want to make sure my boxed frame is strong enough. This truck will have a big block engine and spinning 38 to 44 inch tires, so Im looking for strength. Anything I should do different before I button this thing up? Heres some pics.

http://www.supermotors.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=6307&s=20531#content

Does this look safe? Any comments?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Hmmm...no...not really...Doesn't even look straight from the pictures...If I where you I would cut off what you did and replate all 4 sides and get some good penetration into the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
bronko said:
Hmmm...no...not really...Doesn't even look straight from the pictures...If I where you I would cut off what you did and replate all 4 sides and get some good penetration into the frame.

I agree... I plated the my frame more than that and its just a ranger on 35s.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, any examples?

OK it needs more plate, but where? These are 1/4" plate already, Im not sure where I could put more plate? I was thinking maybe welding an angle truss across the top right corner of each one to give more support incase of twisting, but where else could I add support?

·
Registered
970 Posts
i would plate all 4 sides with 1/4 inch plate and plate the front and then drill some 1 1/2 holes through both sides and weld in some 1 1/2 .250 wall dom tubing for strength

welds dont look to great either but maybe its just the picture

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cut it off and re-do it. Nothing looks even remotely straight..or safe. I agree with rockdog on the using the tube.

·
Registered
547 Posts
heres what i did, probably will re-inforce more. more around the boxed frame section due to using only 3/16 plate there.

edit: heres the link

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
how far do you live from wilber?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Stoked

Stoked, I went out today and bout some 2x2x1/4 steel tubing and Im going to weld it just like you have it. Ill also weld some caps over the fronts to "box" it more. If I do that, will this be safe for a bigblock with big tires doing some truck pulling and mud boggin?

Thanks guys. Im really feeling stupid here, but better to feel stupid up front than feel pain when its all done and falls apart jumping around in the mud.

·
Registered
547 Posts
broke33 said:
Stoked, I went out today and bout some 2x2x1/4 steel tubing and Im going to weld it just like you have it. Ill also weld some caps over the fronts to "box" it more. If I do that, will this be safe for a bigblock with big tires doing some truck pulling and mud boggin?

Thanks guys. Im really feeling stupid here, but better to feel stupid up front than feel pain when its all done and falls apart jumping around in the mud.
if you can, i think somthing like 2x4 would do better work, plus then you can turn it into a good mount for your winch. if you box the frame with somthin like lets say .25 plate, along with the top (and front in your case). as long as your welds are worth trusting, it would work great. im just one of the many leaf spring Bko's off of Fullsizebronco.com, and there are many people just beating on just about the same setup im running.

heres a good thread to look over: http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24977

it should give you some preaty good guidence.

·
Registered
547 Posts
that definetly is a great improvemnt, i would have moved the X member lower towards where the hanger is going to weld up, but as long as you connect the inner portion of the front spring hangers to the X member, i dont think it will go anywhere.

but it definetly looks like your starting to come along in the right durrection!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Much better! Its hard be belive its even the same guy doin the work.. Its like night n day lol :flipoff2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts