Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm new to this board and I have to say, it's an awesome web site!! Ok my question is, how do I convert my 92 silverado to a vortech V8 so I can get better gas mileage? As it is, I'm only getting about 12 mpg and the truck is stock except for Flowmaster exhaust and a K&N filter. I'm not afraid of doing the work but I need to know what all is involved. I even thought of making it two wheel drive.......(I can't afford a new truck because my wife just got a 2001 Jeep). Thanks

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
(I can't afford a new truck because my wife just got a 2001 Jeep). Thanks
SELLOUT! :flipoff2:
Just kidding.

Do you have a v8 right now? 5.7?
if so.
The 92 is TBI right? You can put vortec heads on it($500) and then use an edelbrock manifold that works with the vortec and tbi($130?). But I think a decent chunk of the MPG comes from the multiport. If thats what you want you can swap in a newer engine or dish out cash for edelbrocks or somebody elses sequential multiport fuel injection($1000-1500).

I am not sure on all the facts, these new trucks baffle me :confused:
I am sure I screwed up somewhere and someone will flame me for it. :rolleyes:

Charlo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have a 5.7. What year vortech heads will bolt on to my engine??? And would what fuel injection would you choose? The after market or stock from a Vortech motor??

Hey I'm not a sell out!!!! Ha, ha.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
I hate to rain on your parade.... Vortec heads alone won't improve your fuel economy. The new fuel system and OBD II compliance is what makes it eake out an extra 1 or 2 mpg.

A buddy of mine did a couple of Vortec swaps... one on an '87 K30 and an '88 C1500. Both ended up 96-98 engine, tranny, dash, harness, and column by the time he was done. :eek:

You'll get better economy with a lazier axle ratio. :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.