Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been searching the Web for a info on this subject and arguments keep going back and forth, heres some background information

Im new here but from the looks of things i will be staying around and hopefully being quite active, alot of Knowledgeable people here.

I have a 1987 4runner 4x4 of course, With a 22re and AUTO transmission
I was in the process of doing the Head Gasket and pricing everything out to send to head shop
Came across a 1992 2wd 5Speed 22re pickup decent miles for a Great price,
it was running and all hooked up, just pulled it out this morning Engine trans wiring harness ecu as a whole

I have done a swap before but that was a 1986 22re into MY 1985 22r pickup they both were 2wd and 5speed so swapped motor, trans, wiring harness, ecu as a whole

my questions for the 4Runner Auto Swap with a 92 2WD 5speed 22RE
i understand swapping oil pan and oil feed
now i figure it will be easier to use my 87 wiring harness, correct? or is there a way to make the 2wd Manual wiring harness work, only reason i ask is because it is in great shape, the harness in my 4runner has seen better days

What connectors will be different? at first sight they all seem the same.
just don't worry about plugging in Knock sensor?
No emission law in my state so any tricks i can get away with please feel free to share :D
Just want to make sure im on the right track :shaking:

-Why so low

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
All the connectors will be different. The 87, the computer has the EFI and transmission wired into it. From what I understand, it will not work right unless the ECM stays with the trans. What exactly is wrong with the 87 harness? As all the engine stuff is separate from the rest of the vehicle. When we put an 87 22RE into a 93, we had to swap all the EFI stuff over from the 93 to the 87. Plus, the speedo sender in the 92 is electric, whereas the 87 uses cable. Rightfully, you can make it work, but it will require a lot of rewiring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah I see
Okay so here is my plan.
I'm keeping the 4runner as an automatic( have another 87 that's a manual)
repairing the brittle parts of wiring on 87 harness
swap over all sensors and injectors from 87 to 92 block
Then she should run?

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Just swap the long block.

Bolt your current intake and exhaust, sensors and shit over onto the other motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!
just finished pulling harness off both engines and intakes.
Swapping everything else tomorrow if doesn't rain
thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts