Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently aquired a 93 cherokee for next to the nothing. got a real good deal on it since the trans died which i find odd. It worked great 2 weeks before then supposely he parked it and now nothing , checked the linkage and changed fluid and filter .It doesnt even attempt to go .you can run through the gears and it acts like its not even connected to anything . any body else have this problem or ideas what i should look for . next time i get home ill prob just pull it to see whats going on, i have a 88 xj wag , thinking about putting the tranny in it but it has the power comfort feature . not sure if its interchangable:confused:

·
Registered
90 Posts
It sounds like either the front pump or a bad torque convertor. Also i think the power/comfort feature is just a switch that triggers the trans computer shift points. The connectors should be the same on the transmission. Not positive though, someone please correct me if i am wrong.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
the 89 trans has 21 splines on the output, the 93 has 23...also the TCU's are a little different since the 93 got rid of the power comfort switch.

you need one from a 91-95 4.0 HO XJ.

How many miles are on the bad tranny? if its less than 200k, then its probably a bad TC liek what was said. i ahve an aw4 with 202k miles on it, it shifts great and is the original.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well im prob going to drop the whole drive line out of the 88 and put it in the 93 , appears that they did a swap and put a 2wd drivtrain in it . no transfer case or anything , if i do that does it matter about the splines if i use the drive shafts as well .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the donor vehicle has 180k on it , but it was purchased from a older couple that pulled it with a rv for most of its life , its been sitting since 99 when i went into the service , there was no probs with that tranny other than it take several seconds for it to engage which should indicate linkgage slop .the 93 has about 130k on it which now thinking about it im pretty sure its a 2wd model . im in africa for work so i cant go outside to double check , just trying to get all my ducks in a row so i can jump on it when i get home

1 - 5 of 5 Posts