Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was using my wifes 1993 XJ 4.0L/auto/231-(I think) jeep tonight to pull the remanants of a 93 lincoln onto a trailer. I reached for the "get mean stick" (t-case shifter) and when I gassed it I got an nasty popping sound. I opened the door and looked under the jeep and the t-case would shake violently and pop like it was not fully engaged. I'm thinking the linkage is out of adjustment, can there be any other major problems that I might have. Do these jeeps have an actuator motor on the t-case like ford Exploder's? Help anybody

·
Registered
554 Posts
Were you going for low range?? It sounds like it was not engaged all the way. You should make shore it is before you "gas it". :shaking: Next time you might break something. The linkage is all manual. If it hasn't been used much it will be a pain in the ass to engage. Next time shift the transfer case when in neutral.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm not a moron, I have been around and driven all kinds of 4x4's for 10+ yrs :flipoff2: .
I shifted into 4-lo while in neutral. When I say "gassed it" that implies that I gently applied, not mashed the go pedal. I just used the 4x4 a couple of days ago when my 2 yr. old daughter asked, "can we pease go muddin" (her words not mine). When my dodge is between gears I know because there is gear grinding. These were like pops you could feel the t-case bucking.

·
Registered
442 Posts
here me out i had a friends jeep do this it was caused by the skidplate/ transfercase bolts these bolt had fallen out and the transfer case was trying to turn inbetween the body and the skid plate might check it out

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check it. It was the most fawked up thing. This jeep has been great and when I needed 4-lo the most, I got nothing. The 4.0L has tons of torque but it ain't chit without a posi or 4-lo.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also it does this in 4-hi, I am getting no power to the lead team. Just the popping.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Nope, just solid axle. It was like the power was being sent through the transmission into the t-case and as it was hitting the front output it was skipping, could the chain be skipping? It would grip sometimes then pop in just a second. If I drove around with it in 4-lo it would not pop but if I made a sharp turn then "pop" like as soon as the front wheel get any resistance then it does it. I didn't have time to crawl under it tonight nor did I want to the "squitos" are like humming bird size here.

·
Premium Member
11,113 Posts
Yep, the chain definitely goes out in those things. It'll pop and slip much like a bicycle chain does when not properly in gear.

The other thing you may want to check while you have it apart is the small pads on the shift forks. Since you say it's in both 4x4 modes, I'd look at the mode fork rather than the range fork, although you might wanna do both while you have it apart.

In that pic, the mode fork is the big one next to the chain. The blue plastic thing is one of the pads you might need to replace. Pay no attention to the NP231 that's cracked in half... :flipoff2:

You can see what happens when those pads go away.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
slow down! I'm trying to find all the easy stuff before I tear it apart. It just has to keep totting My wife and kids till August then she's bailing into a piece of sh!t Minivan. i told her after that I'm putting up in the air and putting a V-8 in it. I have an awesome 408 stroker/727/203/205 doubler that needs a new home. 18 mpg to 8 mpg, I love it!

·
Premium Member
11,113 Posts
76dodgecrew4u said:
But it drives in 2wd just fine no-problems
The chain has nothing to do with 2wd, there's no power going through it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, No, this is all a bad dream. You jeep guys are supposed to say, " these 231's are great no problems its prolly just your shifter linkage"

·
Premium Member
11,113 Posts
76dodgecrew4u said:
No, No, this is all a bad dream.
No, THIS is a bad dream.

Taken 1 hour before I had an exam in one of my classes. It blew up on my way back to school that morning from home, and I limped it 10 miles to my parking lot in 4lo, the only thing that would work (5th gear, 3500 RPM, 30 mph down the interstate).

The project was abandoned at this point for the evening, and I walked 2.5 miles to school for my exam. Uphill both ways.

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's not that bad I just did one in a XJ with a 242(it sounds like you have one being nondisco front).You dont even have to pull the TC to replace the chain.Pull the rear DS,the crossmember,output housing,speedo housing and the back of the TC.You can then R&R the chain.Yes its ghetto doin it like this but it's fast and easy.Dont forget the :beer:
OlyWa

·
Premium Member
11,113 Posts
Yeah, what he said. Although it's usually recommended in the manuals and stuff, you really don't have to pull the front sprocket to get the chain off and on. Just requires a bit of persuasion and cursing.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
vetteboy79 said:
No, THIS is a bad dream.
here is my war story...
http://www.opiebennett.com/images/Jeep/D4-ford9-swap/Day 14/index.htm
http://www.opiebennett.com/images/Jeep/D4-ford9-swap/Day 15/index.html

and the knowledge gaind from it all:
http://www.opiebennett.com/images/Jeep/D4-ford9-swap/Day 15/np231.htm

BTW - i have a spare np231 for part (all but the case now)

oh- and here is (hosted in the Pirate tech section) the FSM for the 231

http://www.pirate4x4.com/d1/tech/bi...Jeep component service manual TCase_NP231.pdf

1 - 19 of 19 Posts