Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me what I'm going to need to mate the Dodge NV4500 to the Chevy NP205 transfercase in my '79 K30. Any info on this swap will be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
About $400 dollars worth of parts and a milling machine to enlarge the front of the case. Do your self a favor and find a 29 spline out of a dodge. If you use a dodge nv4500 fix the 5th gear nut before you run it or you will wish you had:p

Can anybody tell me what I'm going to need to mate the Dodge NV4500 to the Chevy NP205 transfercase in my '79 K30. Any info on this swap will be appreciated, thanks.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,984 Posts
Just run a Dodge 205, they are virtually identical to a chevy 205, except the Dodge 205 has a 29 spline male input.

Dodge 205.jpg
Adapter:
Dodge 205 adapter.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
It's easy no crazy tools needed. Just go out and buy a round pattern chevy 205 case (I bought one for $200 for my 4500/205). Put a short 32spline input, then while you have the 4500 apart (to rebuild) replace the output to a chevy 4x4 (32 spl) and get a chevy tail housing (I don't know if the dodge is different). They bolt up and you just need a grinder to notch where the shifter rail goes threw. I bought a Offroad Design twin stick for it(then went out to my local hardware store to get the heim joint and bolts that they were missing). I have pics some where if your interested.

·
Registered
589 Posts
yep you need the chevy output shaft and output housing. if your 205 is long input you can get an aa spacer, if its short input just notch the housing and bolt it on.
but you can also just put a dodge input shaft in a 96 and newer chevy nv4500 and call it good too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts