Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The international is gone. In short, too loud, to terrible for long distance family hauling, and just don't have the time to deal with the ride and making the cab nice.

That said found this, 1994 freightLiner fl70. 250,000miles, 240hp 8.3 Cummins, 7sp, air ride, air brakes, air cab, 22.5 low pro rubber (may get some 11r24.5 rubber pending rear gear) . Bunch of other extras, aftermarket cruise, ac, butterfly style exhaust brake, wired for trailer brakes. Cab is clean, no rust or damage. Cab is a custom rv conversion, pretty heavily built. Right now it's in pieces. The deal is the current owner is putting it back together, as it was stripped for a custom restoration. What I have to do is a deck, and seats, then the rear part of the interior I have to finish. Now I just made the same excuse as to why I sold the other truck, but this one is way simpler to do, it's a box. Plan is paneling, insulation and carpet. The cab has everything to make this easy to do.

Motor, I'll adjust the pump much as I can, eventually will p7100 swap it, currently a mw pump.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$7900cdn is what I got it for. The catch is its an import from the states from 15years ago, and was never registered, so the import paper work was lost. I have to get an out of province inspection done, and get the import form redone, luckily the truck is older than 15years, so it's basically a vin verification, and the customs office is 10minutes away. Part of the deal is the inspection has to be completed and if it fails, the reasons must be essentially cosmetic.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Up here cheap single cab mdt's that are miled out run 5k and up. Then to find a good one, low mileage, no rust and better powertrain, typically 10k, then to find a crew cab or a custom aftermarket extend cab unit add another 5k on top. We don't have emission bs to worry about, and I know that's driving old truck prices down in Cali, as no one wants to do the work.

It's not a smoking deal, but a fair deal on a solid truck. Best comparison is to all the sport chassis freightliners the horse people use, those in this age range up here sell for 20k +
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
How does the FL70 ride compared to the international.
I’m interested in 4x4 one but not sure how it would ride for long highway travel.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How does the FL70 ride compared to the international.
I’m interested in 4x4 one but not sure how it would ride for long highway travel.
The international bounced off the pavement, heavy leaf spring pack and zero weight, standard rubber bushing mounted cab. Front leaf pack was out of a bus and pretty decent, the rear was unbearable

Freightliner is air ride rear suspension and air ride cab. Haven't had it for a good ride yet, but will be a caddy compared.

4x4 Imo is a waste in a mdt highway truck, gear ratios suck, extremely tall, mileage loss from the extra weight. Good tires and a locker, and chains and you'll get through 95% of situations. For the other 5% go PTo mounted stupid winch.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you can squirt the head gasket out just fine with the 10mm mw :flipoff2:
I like to party :flipoff2:

Hard to beat what the dt466 with the p7100 and a 95lb/min turbo, was a little rediculous lol. I do have a spare dt466, for whenever this 8.3 decides to go. But if I can get it to 300hp that'll be plenty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,084 Posts
that's pretty damned pimp for 5K US.

especially if they're putting the interior back together before you pick it up.
direct or OD 7 speed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,084 Posts
that's pretty damned pimp for 5K US.

especially if they're putting the interior back together before you pick it up.
direct or OD 7 speed?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that's pretty damned pimp for 5K US.

especially if they're putting the interior back together before you pick it up.
direct or OD 7 speed?
Yeah I have to finish the interior, but they are putting everything they have for it together. No idea on final drive ratio, but from what i saw its a direct with a high 3 something gear ratio, I have 11r24.5's for it if needed to get the highway cruising to a decent point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,084 Posts
you'll be fine with that setup.

the 7 speed 1/2 are dumb ass deep, so it will still pull fine when loaded.
with 3.xx in the rearend and 24.5's it will roll 80mph I'd bet without being wrapped out.

you scored on this.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top