Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kids stock 350 running hot w/wo AC pumping. Flex fan, no secondary elec fan. I started with pulling the stat and swapping it with a restrictor, no change. Changed the rad cap, no change. Installed new water pump, no change. Noticed the inside of the windshield was fogging, replaced heater core, truck running at 240* and will cool to 190* on the road, but still reaches 250* at idle.
My last guess is the intake gasket, thought I'd check here first.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
Sounds like an airflow issues...it cools running down the road but not at idle? Flex fan...where's the original fan?....how many blades and what diameter (**do you have a pic?)....are you running a shroud. How clean is the rest of the cooling system....does it pressurize?

**I ask for a pic because I've seen those narrow blade street rod fans that couldn't cool a steamy pile of shit!

PS...what gauge are you going by, have you verified it with another/diff gauge, or have you aimed an IR thermo at it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
18" dia, six 3" blades on the fan. I'm 100% sure airflow is not the problem. It ran last year as is with no over heat problems. I'll have to work on loading the picks, I shut down my pulling truck site
Edit: full factory shroud, mechanical gauge on the block and intake
Thx
Edit x2: I should explain the drive cool down a little more. The truck will cool to 190* in 3 miles, but after 6 miles it runs at 210*. With the restrictor in the water neck, it should not reach 150* let alone move the damn gauge IMHO. It has me stumped.
I'll do a 20psi pressure test Friday, but at this point I'm not sure where to look for the leak. Also, the water level has not dropped in the over flow tank. The best I can tell with the naked eye

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
How clean is the rest of the cooling system....does it pressurize?

Thats what i was thinking.......he never answered..?? I saw that fan pic and thought that to be the issue....lots of space around the shroud and those small blade plastic POS fans are crap...... But it was fine last year for him....surprised??

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
^^^^....No..not personally. Seen issues cured by swapping those out though. They may work (adequate) until something very minor is not up to par....

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Overheating at idle and then cooling down while driving usual points at the cooling fan. The engine is producing a lot more heat while driving down the road as compared to just sitting there idling, so the only reason it should act this way is not getting enough airflow from the fan. A clogged radiator, either internal or external (mud caked) generally shows up while driving, and the faster you go (more heat) the hotter the engine gets. How is the fan clutch?

I have seen one issue where the impellor on the water pump was about half gone and would not pump enough coolant at idle. But again, if it is not pumping enough to keep cool at idle it usually doesn't pump enough at higher rpms to make up for the increase heat.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The coolant system will not hold 14psi. I can't see where the leak is. I tend to agree on FG fans being POS, but it was better than a froze clutch fan and on the shelf.
I'm back to thinking the leak is the intake gasket.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
A cracked head could also be the culprit, it's possible that the coolant is burning off, and if the leak is minute, could still give you over heating issues. You should notice the exhaust smelling sweet at the very least.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
It ran last year as is with no over heat problems.

Edit x2: I should explain the drive cool down a little more. The truck will cool to 190* in 3 miles, but after 6 miles it runs at 210*.
I tend to agree on FG fans being POS, but it was better than a froze clutch fan and on the shelf.

So, it ran last year with THIS setup just fine...or after the stock fan/clutch freeze issue....and you put THIS fan on it started to run hot??

Summary: Last year with stock fan setup = No overheat
Now, stock clutch fan froze, you put shitty fan on = Overheat

Fan is a "standard" rotation fan, you have a "serpentine" system.
Yours is trying to push air forward.
Oh good eye (I had originally thought wrong H2O pump....but that was really when the serp's first came about..and issues arose). Never looked twice at the rotation of the fan......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts