Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got this truck (1996 yukon gt 2 door with a 350)for free from a friend has 570,000kms on it but now has a tick big end or crank (good ole sbc reliability) body is in alright condition. I also got a 350 tbi motor for it which was freshly rebuilt i plan on using this motor (short block) with vortec heads with no more than 11:1 compression but probably 10.5:1 (need sugestion and how much do i have to take off to get this kind of compression). i got a edelbrock performer eps for vortec, holly 650 mechanical secondaries, and a taylor hei race distributor also got long tube headers that come out hood. will probably at a later date do a cam wouldnt mind suggestions that will work with vortec heads with there limited amount of lift. i need suggestions for a fuel pump or fuel regulator a part number. Sold the 4l60e and transfer case and bought a turbo 400 and np205. Planning on doing a solid axle swap with 8 bolt axles and probably cut fenders. also need suggestion a guage panel is there any threads on custom dash panel for this style truck i can weld and have access to many tools at my highschool. i plan to make this a very cheap strictly offroad mud truck that i'l upgrade as i get money. will tbi accessories (altenator, power steering) work with carb. thanks in advance

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine wont be that big for a while hope to run a 38 and closer to ground with chopped fenders keep center of gravity better(and cheaper). was there any motor work done.

·
Banned
13,206 Posts
Yup. Everything was done several times. It had a mild 400 in it when I used it.

This is it now.....I don't think they even use it anymore. Sits in front of the store.:(

is that the one that a guy was in here talking about buying it a few months back? had 46's or 53's on 6 lugs :homer:

·
Banned
13,206 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i found a set of 1 1/4 ton military axles from a 77 chevy with 4.56 gears for 700 and i get the truck free. are these any good the fronts a dana 44 backs a corporate 14 are they any stronger than 3/4 or 1 ton axles

·
Banned
13,206 Posts
i found a set of 1 1/4 ton military axles from a 77 chevy with 4.56 gears for 700 and i get the truck free. are these any good the fronts a dana 44 backs a corporate 14 are they any stronger than 3/4 or 1 ton axles
front should be a d60 and the rear should have a detroit locker in it if they are actually cucv axles from a .mil truck, and no, they would be the same thing as a 3/4 ton strength wise with a d44 front. 700 isn't a screaming deal for geared 3/4 tons, but if you can use some other parts from the truck and scrap what's left to even shit out it's an ok deal.

·
Registered
731 Posts
This post has many levels of wrong information in it. :shaking:

·
Banned
13,206 Posts
can you tell of the many levels of wrong information it is just what the guy says
if the truck is actually a cucv 1 and a 1/4 ton it ain't a 77'. chevy didn't start supplying the military with trucks until 84ish, and they were all diesels with 4.56 axle gears, d60 fronts, 14 bolt rears and a rear detroit locker. dual 12/24v as well.

chances are the guy trying to sell you this shit is blowing smoke up your ass and they are a stock geared set of 3/4 ton plain old regular chevy truck axles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got a set of axles that will be just temporary for now until i can afford bigger axles i got a 12 bolt rear and 10 bolt front for $200 and i got a turbo 400 for $80 but need to get a transfer case. i know these arnt very strong axles at all (actually there very weak) but will be very temporary and i found of set of 35 super swampers 60% tread that will be fine for now already on chrome 6 bolt steel wheels for $225. will upgrade both next year but for now i think these will have to work just want to get it running again than will start to upgrade more.
but right now i have a question on painting axles and tranny for axles will wire wheel sand and put thick coat of black tremclad does that sound fine or is there a better product thats not too expensive like POR15 easy to touch up unlike powdercoating? plan on painting diff covers and front steering knuckles a dark red or maybe a metallic dark red to give some contrast thin that will look good on a all black truck. what should i use to paint tranny like the monster transmissions are? looks really good and if its easy to do might as well do it while its out never painted cast aluminum before so dont know what preps needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts