Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power steering pump is pumping fluid out of the top of the reservoir. What would cause this? Is there something clogged up?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No work has been done to it. It just suddenly lost all power steering but the pump is still pumping no noises or anything just no help turning the wheel.

·
Banned
470 Posts
Yes there is a screen in the reservoir. Don't run the pump dry or you will for sure ruin it if allow metal on metal between the vanes and the pump cavity.
Go to the dealer and get a seal kit for about 30 bucks. Then yank the pump and replace the seals then reinstall and put in new fluid. Remember ATF not PS fluid or run something for both like Red Line synth which is rated for both ATF or PS fluid systems. It might be a good idea to add a cooler and or increase the reservoir capacity. The stock Tacoma pump has less than a pint of fluid capacity. I doubled mine up just by cutting the can in half then braising in a tube made from flat sheet stock. I've seen some guys use exhaust tubing of the right size. Either way making the can taller increases the capacity and gives you a little extra margin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts