Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to look at a 1999 Ford F-250 ext. cab long bed 4x4 diesel truck tomorrow evening and was wondering if there is anything I need to particularly look out for other than the obvious leaks, weird noises, etc. The truck has 190,000 miles on it, already has a super chip installed and trailer brake controller. The guy said he bought it last year. I haven't heard of any consistent problems with the 7.3's of this era and have heard that the '99-'02 Powerstrokes were the engines to get. Anyone who can shine some light on the subject is much appreciated!

I will be hauling a fullsize Bronco in the future if it matters...

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
The 99 and 97 PSD were the COMPLETE years to have forged rods. Very good.
The early 99's had the smaller intake inlets. less power. Take off the inlet to the turbo and make shure the impeller is not all pitted from dust getting in the air cleaner.(Comon on some trucks) This is a sighn of a going bad motor.

The autos that are chipped seem to need a update and upgrades. West coast has john woods and the midwest has BTS. plan on spending 3000 pluss.

Good luck.

That year usually at a deal will go for around 10,000 to 11,000

Edited for some.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
so check the coolant. They sell test strips at the auto part stores to do this with. It is at the milage where cavitation in the cylinders starts to begin. The test strips will give you an indication. also check the unit bearings in the front hubs. make sure the tranny shifts good. other than that your good to go.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a service manager at an independent transmission shop, so I'm not super concerned about the transmission, I'm kind of planning on doing that anyway for piece of mind. I probably won't be able to take it to our shop here being the truck is an hour away, and I don't want to start removing stuff off of the truck in front of the guy or anything.

TJMARK---say I do come home with this truck and the impeller is as you described..what are my options as far as making the engine last longer? Is it a matter of miles, months, or years before I can expect something bad to happen?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
With that many miles, I would grab an oil sample and send it into Blackstone.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Most common problem that I know about is the CPS... a lot of us carry a spare in the glove compartment. It's a cheap and easy fix if it ever goes out.

There are two '99 versions (early and late) and a couple things are changed.

That oil analysis will tell you all you need to know about the engine and the shape it's in.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
If you bring it home and it and it has been dusted. Sell it. To rebuild it is more trouble than you need. Unless your getting a KILLER deal i seen no reason for him to not let you check the turbo impeller. it just takes a flat screwdriver to remove the clamp. I checked my coolent also before i bought mine. Good idea to test the coolant.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, buy some test strips from the auto parts store to check the coolant and check the turbo impeller. What will I see on the test strip if there is something wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
I don't know where you are located in KS, but I know where there is a 99 that has all new injectors, glowplugs, rebuilt tranny, guage pod, lifted, and new tires. It is a 350 crew cab. It is in Wichita if you are interested. I know the guy that is selling it, it is not mine. (mods back off!)

The PS is a decent engine. The injectors seem to go out later in life if you run them out of fuel. Not a bad truck though.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Yup...IIRC it was a mid-year '01 change as my early '01 has forged rods.

--Ian
I have also seen 2000 trucks with Power coated steal rods. So without going into great depth for him i always say the for shure years 99-97.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I bought the truck last night. I'm going to pick it up Friday morning. Everything checked out...no leaks, ran and drove phenomenal, very clean inside and out. I was very very pleased to say the least. We came to a agreement of $10k. I'll try to get some pictures up once I bring it home!

Thanks guys for all the pointers! :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have also seen 2000 trucks with Power coated steal rods. So without going into great depth for him i always say the for shure years 99-97.:flipoff2:
But that's not what you said, so.. :flipoff2:

The 'official' switchover to PMR rods (which BTW is powdered METAL, not powder COATED) is 10/16/00 (serial #149832) which due to old stocks of parts, etc, etc left some late '00's have PMR and a few early '01's w/ forged. FWIW, there are also late 02-03's w/ forged units as they ran out of PMR rods during the last run of 7.3's so if your build date is after 8/02 chances are you got forged rods in your 7.3. The only FOR SURE way is to check. Diesel Innovations has a few pics here showing where you can look and the comparison between the PMR and forged rods.

Of course if you're not gonna do much more than a chip/exhaust it doesn't really matter as the PMR's will hold up fine to moderate power levels.

--Ian

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Well I bought the truck last night. I'm going to pick it up Friday morning. Everything checked out...no leaks, ran and drove phenomenal, very clean inside and out. I was very very pleased to say the least. We came to a agreement of $10k. I'll try to get some pictures up once I bring it home!

Thanks guys for all the pointers! :D
cool, now hurry and turn the power up :evil::evil:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
But that's not what you said, so.. :flipoff2:

The 'official' switchover to PMR rods (which BTW is powdered METAL, not powder COATED) is 10/16/00 (serial #149832) which due to old stocks of parts, etc, etc left some late '00's have PMR and a few early '01's w/ forged. FWIW, there are also late 02-03's w/ forged units as they ran out of PMR rods during the last run of 7.3's so if your build date is after 8/02 chances are you got forged rods in your 7.3. The only FOR SURE way is to check. Diesel Innovations has a few pics here showing where you can look and the comparison between the PMR and forged rods.

Of course if you're not gonna do much more than a chip/exhaust it doesn't really matter as the PMR's will hold up fine to moderate power levels.

--Ian
You must be from diesel stop..:flipoff2:

No wonder they started another board to get away.

Sounds great good luck

·
Registered
246 Posts
You must be from diesel stop..:flipoff2:

No wonder they started another board to get away.

Sounds great good luck
:shaking:

Nope, although I occasionally read all the various PSD forums I just thought I'd interject some facts instead of misleading or 'partial' information. If you wanted to convey that 97-99 were the only "for shure [sic]" years you should have prefaced it with "although other years may have forged rods..." Instead in true PBB fashion you got butt hurt. And I'm sure that you'll have some smart ass comment and want to get the last word in so....

But this wasn't the original intent of the thread, so to the original poster: Good luck with the truck, I'm sure you'll be happy with it forged rods or not!

--Ian

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks clendaniel...I've driven it around some and like it alot. It has the old school "Superchip" deal that plugs into the computer port underneath the dash. The guy I bought it from said he has it set on the first stage. He said on the highest tune you couldn't keep the rear wheels planted. I've read the book a little bit but none of it makes sense. Are these things any good? How easy are they to use? Other than the chip, it's all stock. Thanks fellas!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts