Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting this to get ideas what to do with my 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L V8 Z71 it's my daily driver focusing on a capable off roader that won't leave me stranded. I'll be using it as a camping setup to. I would like to keep the truck fairly lower to the ground and not lift it to the sky. I know I'll have issues the breakover angle and departure angle since it's a long wheel base compared to other off-roaders but that's why I have plans for ton of body armor.
List of mods so far
  • 2.5" key lift front
  • adder leaf in back
  • temporary rock sliders (see picture
  • Switch board for electric system (lights etc.)
List of planned mods
  • Kryptonite upper control arms
  • Kryptonite sway bar ends
  • Kryptonite pitman arms
  • Kryptonite tie-rods
  • 1.5" leveling kit
  • Custom Rock sliders
  • full underside skid plates
  • Move's high clearance bumper
  • Custom fabricated high clearance rear bumper
  • CV radio set up for communication
  • Camper shell
List of possible mods
  • 35" tires
  • re-gear front and rear
  • wheels
  • custom aussie tray setup
  • rear locker
  • IFS gm 9.25
  • SAS?
  • TBD

Tire Wheel Sky Automotive parking light Vehicle
Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Plant community
Wheel Tire Car Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if done right it will handle just as good as IFS
It's more about time installing the SAS. I would love to build one like dmanbluefreaks SAS but currently want to see how far the IFS will take me I haven't had problems with it so far (knock on wood) main reason why I'm beefing up the IFS. I took it to Uwharrie on Dickie bell and it handle just fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
G80 is the appitamy of garbage.

Ive rubuilt over 500 of the pos 8.6 rear ends.

Every one of those hunk of shit 1500's is worth $4000 in repairs to me. Get it the fuck out now. Get a 2500ld 6lug 14bsf and put money into it.

246 tcases are clutch drive to the front axle, if you dont wipe the clutch pack out the rear case will get a hole in it and piss the fluid out, run dry, then wipe the entire case out.

The front axles will either shit the spiders or blow the axle housing in half.

Your list is litteraly 50%+ wasted money.

Build it right, now, not twice.
Thank you for the information but, I have parts already for the front end. if it dies I'll do the SAS.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
speaking from past experience
keep it stock,do the pump rub tcase fix
find a 88-98 4wd 9.5inch 14b ,weld new spring perches and swap the 10b disk brakes on with a spacer/new mount welded on
save up for a 4L80 swap
get a 16ft trailer and find a built toyota
I rather go through the hardship of doing stuff the the chevy then get a yota I know they are very capable but, I'm to stubborn.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Before i linked my pos, i ran on the stock ifs. It was fine, until it suddenly wasn't...i was only running 33's. Blew two rear ends, destroyed a front, both cv shafts were toast, All ball joints were junk, all tie rods were trash, basically after a year or two of moderate wheeling everything needed to be replaced. That was when i knew that it was time to upgrade before sending more cash into the ifs bottomless pit... so i threw it in another bottomless pit that was far more satisfying.
do you have picture of your truck just for reference like a before and after? also, what your saying is either way they are bottomless pits just the sas is more fun to wheel with?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sat lower than d mans, but also wouldn't fit 40's like his.
The straight axle gives piece of mind knowing that it won't be as easy to break as it was the ifs. Plus the first time you stuff an axle crawling through a 4' deep ditch, you'll know it was worth it.
Thank you! looks good. well for right now it looks like I need to save some money to start a SAS. I will be doing the stuff I already have (the upper control arm and sway bar end links and tierod enforcers) just to keep it from blowing up and doing the Tcase fix so the pump doesn't destroy the whole system and I did get a new transmission on it recently at like 235000 mi. Also, should I mention that I'm lucky and live in GA where I have no rust on the truck haha. Oh and before the SAS I need to get another work truck to drive back and forth seeing how it's a long process but, I feel like if I get all off the body stuff done and using CAD it should shorten the time it take by a lot. Also, is there a way to keep it leafs and just re-enforce the crush zone like you did?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Your kryptonite list is way more than 500$. As others have said,don't waste money on the ifs. It will nickle and dime you to death. Start buying sas parts right now so you aren't tempted to upgrade that steaming pile of garbage.

Btw,if its your daily driver quit taking it on trails or you'll be driving a honda soon
I take on trails right now that are super easy. With the kryptonite I got the upper control arm to fix my current camber

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
^^^......And then after you fix that and the next trail ride you'll be fixing __ (fill in the blank). Seriously, as others have said, start stock piling SAS swap parts. Then when you have everything, you can swap it in a weekend. A SAS isn't uncharted waters, you're not the first, you won't run into gotchas. Don't waste money, effort, or time upgrading the IFS.....simply put, it's not worth it for a trail/overlanding rig.
As I said to someone else I plan to keep it as is once I put the current stuff I already have on it. I won’t do anything to serious. While collecting stuff for the SAS

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
He's right though, if you go leaf spring you could get it finished in a long weekend or a couple of weekends if you dredge fuck it like it owes you money. The biggest thing for me is that i don't have weekends to spare, so i tend to let things sit on the back burner while i try to get all the parts i need together.
I loved the three link set up you had. And it seems like a very good three link would be super amazing. And he’ll if I need to take some pto or wait for a holiday weekend for the swap I’ll do it. Now time to get the parts for a SAS side note would 35s look to goofy with an SAS or are 37s the perfect middle of the road size?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts