Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where is good place to get one?
What is a "normal" price?
I assume that it is the module on the injector pump, everything else works normally except it keeps kicking down at highway speeds and normal throttle.

Mine is defunct. It won't hold OD unless flat on the floor.
Dropping down in third at 75 MPH isn't good for the tranny and taking the back roads back and forth to work is going to get tiresome.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
SilverZuk said:
Where is good place to get one?
What is a "normal" price?
I assume that it is the module on the injector pump, everything else works normally except it keeps kicking down at highway speeds and normal throttle.

Mine is defunct. It won't hold OD unless flat on the floor.
Dropping down in third at 75 MPH isn't good for the tranny and taking the back roads back and forth to work is going to get tiresome.
Sorry, don't have one for you but:

I run the exact same driveline in my rig. Ditched the controller and running a switch on the dash. Wanna hit OD? Click.

Pretty simple and kind of foolproof. Just a 12V plug on the tranny. Of course, it demands a bit more concentration than the regular stock electronically controlled setup, but it's cheap and it don't break...

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
its the tps you need aparently. *throtle position sensor* i think they are like 125 bucks. never bought one and have no idea where to get one. but i know BIGRICH on here jus tbought one. try pming him. jIMMy

·
Registered
14,025 Posts
probably not. The problem is that the signal comes from the computer and the TPS is only one of the sensors. My father is broken down in Sweetwater texas right now with the same problem. Dad just tried the TPS and it is $170 but did nothing.

If I am right , it not only affects your overdrive right ZUK? I believe the problem is the electronically locking TC and the signal that controls it.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine doesn't have a lock up TC.
It's a 92, and the TC is one of the "old fin types".
Mine is all mechanical except for the module on the injector pump.

·
Registered
266 Posts
SilverZuk said:
Mine doesn't have a lock up TC.
It's a 92, and the TC is one of the "old fin types".
Mine is all mechanical except for the module on the injector pump.
The "module" you are talking about is the Throttle Position Sensor as stated above..Your engine is all mechanical BUT your tranny is controlled by the computer that is bolted to the driverside fender behind the battery..The computer uses the TPS-Speed sensor on the tranny -and the (if equipped}ABS sensor on the rear axle..
As handbuilt said you can put a switch in the truck to operate the OD, however, the way he says to do it appears to be incorrect.. on the side of the tranny there is a small two wire connector with one orange wire and one dark blue wire.. The dark blue wire should have voltage to it whenever the key is in the on position( you might check this before you go replacing other stuff)..The orange wire supplies the ground and is the one you put a switch in to manually controll the OD.. Run the orange wire to the switch and run a wire to a good ground.. when the switch is on the OD will be engaged and when the switch is off the OD is off..

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks.
I'll check the TPS first and then make plans to switch the OD to manual temporarily until I find a good price on a TPS if it needs replaced.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I did the same exact thing that handbuilt did, I just run a toggle switch, The 12v wires just power a solenoid in the tranny, so I ran those wires to a fuse block in the engin compartment and grounded it in the dash, works flawlessly as long as you dont mind the manaul switch.

Matt

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
matt lytle said:
I did the same exact thing that handbuilt did, I just run a toggle switch, The 12v wires just power a solenoid in the tranny, so I ran those wires to a fuse block in the engin compartment and grounded it in the dash, works flawlessly as long as you dont mind the manaul switch.

Matt
Hey guys,

Thanks for clarifying the whole deal, I knew it was electrically engaged and have all the diagrams, but I haven't gotten around to wiring it up yet. This driveline is in my rig (not my towrig) so the lack of an overdrive isn't a big concern.

Can you guys clarify this? What happens if you leave it in overdrive when it shifts down to 2nd and 1st? The tranny from what I have read is a 727 with an overdrive section on the back. I'm just thinking of someone forgetting to switch the overdrive off when getting off the highway and coming to a stop. Does it shift down into overdrive 2nd and first, or does it fawk up somehow? I realise that the overdrive isn't meant to handle the torque of 1st gear starts, but it would be nice to know that someone can forget it in engaged position and not burn my tranny up in one shot.

Thanks a million...

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I got a price of @201.99 from advanced auto and $194 from NAPA.
I'm still looking.

Cummins said it was truck part and go to a dealer, the dealer wants $207 and has them in stock. I think they get pissed when you ask for a part and don't have your motors serial number on hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts