Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 619 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #121 (Edited)
Started with some old fenders for fillers from Knoll Racing (thanks Carl)

And some of the work I did:
I took out 6.5" out of the front of the front fenders, and kept the body lines.
The Driver side
before

during

And after

And the Pass side:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
Truck is looking good Jack! Are you making your own front driveshaft or ? What shocks and how are you mounting them?
Ya I will be making my own front drive shaft, cut and lengthen the old one 1350cv to 1350yoke. I'm going to run the 5150's off of my K30 but Have no idea as to how I'm going to mount them not there yet. But I will try not to cut up the inner fenders.

Edit: adding the missing pics

Attachments

·
Registered
17,081 Posts
Very sweet fender mod. I might have to give that a try on a later project.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Sweet fender mod. I am going to steal that one as well. Looks good.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ya I will be making my own front drive shaft, cut and lengthen the old one 1350cv to 1350yoke. I'm going to run the 5150's off of my K30 but Have no idea as to how I'm going to mount them not there yet. But I will try not to cut up the inner fenders.
Sounds good.

Awesome work on the fenders, very clean. You have never been one to spend time on things like that. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
More work done, I finished the inner fenders. I got the stock air box mounted further forward but I have to redo it now because the radiator overflow doesn't fit now :mad3:. Maybe I will just get another overflow ??? Or redo what I just did on the inner fender. FUCK. Also I cut the crossmember that I made :mad3: to have room for the panhard bar that I am now going to run. And a pic of the Ballistic fab "off set panhard bar bracket" I got. I had to cut and add 2" to the height, I fucked up when I ordered it. I wanted 6" above the axle tube not, from the center of the axle tube, whatever my fuck up.

And the crossmember

You can see that the heim joint will now line up with the ball joint on the height. Just need to trim the hi steer arm so that I can get the panhard par bracket as far to the Pass side as I can, so that on the drivers side I have some room for a bump stop, that's why I got 3/4" spring plates:D Maybe air bumps????

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Fuck no it's not easy, there is so much little stuff to deal with. It's easy if you have all the parts you know exactly where to cut and what to do. I have no fucking idea what the hell I'm doing but it is coming along. HaHa.

I started taking apart the rear and ran into some shit.

-The bolts that hold the leaf springs are 3/4" I think. So my leafs (2500HD) are not going to fit without a small fight.
-There is some kind of sensor (speed sensor?) on top of the Dana 70 (U, HD,???) but the truck also has a speedometer cable output to a sensor on the back of the tranny which one does what?
-The fuel tank is right up against the frame so I think I'm going to have to drop it to bolt up the front spring hanger on the driver side.
-The fucking wheel studs are 1/2":mad3:

What I'm thinking about doing is swapping it out to a 14 bolt. What I need to know is do I need that sensor on top of the axle? I don't think it has ABS but, I could be wrong (it happened once I don't want to talk about it:D). The 14 bolt I have has 13" drums, the 70 in the truck has 12". The 14 has9/16" wheel studs matching the front, the 70 has 1/2".

Or taking it apart drilling out the hub/drum and installing new bigger studs.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
311 Posts
It's an abs sensor.
You can unplug the abs computer behind the glove box if the abs light come on when you unplug the tone ring sensor on the diff.

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Got some more work done over the past two weekends and during the week. Ran into some problems, the steering are had too much drop and the stock dodge one had just enough drop but the taper wasn't deep enough. Took it over to Knoll Racing and he took care of it fast. Ended up with a DOM 1-1/4" with a 1-1/2" piece slid over, for strength on both the panhard bar and drag link. Because they both have bends in them (so that I can keep a low ride height) And both the panhard bar and drag link are the same lenght and angle. No Bump Steer at all. Oh and I got the correct bellhousing, and ordered my clutch from South bend. Special thanks to KNOLL RACING for re-tapping my bungs that I burned threw.
This is a Ballistic panhard mount that I lengthened 2" then another 1" before welding

I will more than likely ad some more bracing to the bracket towards the steering box

Panhard Bar

The shackles with a 1/4" spacer welded on

The correct bellhousing

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
On your rear axle, as stated above, the sensor is for the shit ABS. When I swapped springs on the rear of my truck, I think I used a sawzall to cut the bolt up in between the frame rail and the bracket. I didn't have to dick with my fuel tank. I am pretty sure you can upsize the studs without drilling the holes. I remember a Papecat showing me some larger studs that he was put in his truck to run his Rickson wheels, I think they were larger and longer. You might look at the stud specs and see if there is a 9/16 that will go into the same hub holes.
Travis..

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Well got some more work done the last week or so. Got the shocks mounted (bilstein 5150's), brake line made/hooked up. Pretty much got the front totally done, I just need to bleed the brakes and center the wheel (adjust the cross over steering). Also picked up my new Turbo today HX super 40. brand new! I also got my Southbend clutch on Friday WTF 117lbs, it's a 13" dual disc, able to hold 600HP and 1200TQ! I also cut off all of the stock rear spring hangers and ordered a set of 5" lift 2500HD springs with a double military wrap and a 1/2" center pin. I will be making my own hangers or modifying the stock ones, I'll see where everything lines up at.
We're trying to make our way to Pismo on the 28th so I have to get crackin. I want to take my blazer out I haven't driven it since the KOH. I'm not giving here any attention:laughing:. But on the dodge I will leave the trans alone for this first trip and will install the other trans and t-case when I get back, I hope my stock clutch will hold up. Shit, I hope I have enough slip in the stock drive shaft.
I'll post up some more pics soon.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Getting there... sounds like it will be ready for the Pismo trip. You going to put the turbo on before we head out there or wait until you get back?

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
All the motor work will be done, maybe this weekend if I don't get the rear springs. Injectors, turbo, fuel pin, 3200 RPM spring, 95' intake elbow and 4" down pipe to 5" exhaust. Oh and I drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold today for the pyro gauge. So ya the boost and pyro gauges will be on the A-pillar, but no tach yet.

I have all these parts except for the Rev spring, and the V-band clamp flange for the 4" exhaust

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hey, did you get my text this morning? Just wanted to make sure everyone is ok.

What's the latest with the Dodge? The Pismo trip is coming up fast.:smokin:

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Sorry for the late reply but, Ya got your text my brothers fine (He was at that tragic MDR race at the site of the crash) The Dodge is coming together pretty good. I'm going to pick up some 90* bends today to build a down pipe. Built all the rear hangers and got them in place I need to build the shackles for the rear now. The Fucking rear axle has 3.54 gear and I don't have enough time before next weekend to change the axle out for the 14 bolt:mad3:. I have to run it. Oh well.

So this is what I have to do before the end of this weekend:

-Build rear shackles
-Build a down pipe 4"
-Connect down pipe to already hung muffler
-Make sure the drive shaft has enough slip
-Install new/bigger fuel injectors
-Get or reuse U-bolts and plates
-Bleed brakes
-Install rear air bags
-Test drive

After the weekend at Pismo I will do the Trans, T-case and driveshafts.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sorry for the late reply but, Ya got your text my brothers fine (He was at that tragic MDR race at the site of the crash) The Dodge is coming together pretty good. I'm going to pick up some 90* bends today to build a down pipe. Built all the rear hangers and got them in place I need to build the shackles for the rear now. The Fucking rear axle has 3.54 gear and I don't have enough time before next weekend to change the axle out for the 14 bolt:mad3:. I have to run it. Oh well.

So this is what I have to do before the end of this weekend:

-Build rear shackles
-Build a down pipe 4"
-Connect down pipe to already hung muffler
-Make sure the drive shaft has enough slip
-Install new/bigger fuel injectors
-Get or reuse U-bolts and plates
-Bleed brakes
-Install rear air bags
-Test drive

After the weekend at Pismo I will do the Trans, T-case and driveshafts.
So, you going to have 4WD for Pismo then or no because of the gears?

Got a pic of the engine compartment with the new goodies in there?

121 - 140 of 619 Posts